Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This mango margarita on the rocks recipe makes some of the best mango margaritas you will have! It’s an easy cocktail to make in less than 10 minutes, and can be customized in many different ways — make a strawberry or a spicy jalapeno version!
Margaritas can be served on the rocks or frozen. If you are a fan of on the rocks margaritas, you will also love this peach margarita on the rocks, this watermelon margarita on the rocks or this raspberry margarita on the rocks.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Tropical — The mango flavor gives this margarita a tropical vibe and feels like a cocktail you would sip on a hot Caribbean beach.
- Customizable — Follow the original recipe, or try one of my recommendations for a spicy mango margarita or a pineapple mango margarita.
- 10 minutes — This recipe is so quick to make. Just add everything together, shake & strain.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Tequila: Use blanco tequila that is 100% agave for the best quality margarita. You can use mezcal tequila if you prefer. As an alternative to tequila, you could use vodka or rum.
- Mango Juice: You can make your own fresh mango juice by blending mango chunks and passing the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. However, using a store bought mango juice is much more convenient and less expensive.
- Lime Juice: Always use freshly squeezed lime juice for margaritas! Lime is a key ingredient in margaritas and fresh lime flavor makes or breaks a cocktail.
- Triple Sec: Triple sec is an orange liqueur often found in margarita recipes. You can use Cointreau or Grand Marnier as a substitute.
- Simple Syrup: Simple syrup adds a bit of sweetness to balance out the other flavors. You can make your own simple syrup or use a storebought one. Use agave syrup as a substitute.
- Margarita Salt: You can use regular salt to line the rim of your glasses. Or, you can buy margarita salt that is specifically made for margaritas and that has been infused with a lime flavor.
How To Make A Mango Margarita On The Rocks
Step 1: Run a wedge of lime around the rim of the margarita glass and press it into the margarita salt until it sticks.
Step 2: Add the mango juice, tequila, lime juice, triple sec and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker.
Step 3: Shake well for 20 seconds. Strain and pour into the margarita glass over ice.
You can mix in many different flavors with these mango margaritas, but here are some ideas to get you started:
- Spicy Mango Margarita On The Rocks: Replace the regular simple syrup with this jalapeno simple syrup.
- Strawberry Mango Margarita On The Rocks: Replace the regular simple syrup with this strawberry simple syrup.
- Peach Mango Margarita On The Rocks: Replace the regular simple syrup with this peach simple syrup.
- Mango Pineapple Margarita On The Rocks: Replace half of the mango juice with pineapple juice.
- Chill the margarita glasses. If you are serving these margaritas on a hot day, chill the margarita glasses in the fridge or freezer before pouring your drink.
- Use margarita salt. Margarita salt can really elevate your margarita, giving it that classic “margarita” taste. You can make your own margarita salt or buy some premade.
- Adjust the strength. Want a stronger margarita? Add in an extra oz of tequila. These margaritas are on the slightly sweeter side so adjust to your taste as needed.
Yes. If you have guests that prefer a frozen margarita, blend all the ingredients together in a blender with a handful of ice until you have a slushie consistency.
Yes. To make this a mocktail, leave out the alcohol. Or, try this spicy margarita mocktail that is specifically made to taste just like a margarita (but without the alcohol).