Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
This easy bourbon margarita is just like a regular margarita but with a whiskey twist. Made with bourbon, cointreau, lime juice and a dash of agave. Then shaken and served on the rocks in glass with a salted rim.
Bourbon makes some great cocktails, such as this bourbon rosemary cocktail, this pear bourbon cocktail, this blood orange whiskey sour, this blackberry smash, or this pineapple old fashioned.
It also makes a delicious, unique margarita. For other tasty margaritas, try this guava margarita or this spicy mango margarita.
Why this is the best whiskey margarita
- It makes a great Cinco de Mayo drink. Margaritas are popular on Cinco de Mayo. But if you don’t like tequila based drinks, this whiskey version is perfect for you.
- It’s an all-season drink. Bourbon drinks are generally good in winter as well as summer and this one is no exception.
- It has the perfect balance of flavors. It’s easy for bourbon to overpower everything else. But in this recipe, bourbon complements the lime and Cointreau perfectly.
- Bourbon: Use your favorite medium quality bourbon. Save the fancier, top shelf whiskey for drinking on the rocks.
- Cointreau: If needed, you can substitute this with Triple Sec, but Cointreau has a smoother taste that works best for these margaritas.
- Lime juice: Only use freshly squeezed lime juice. Bottled lime juice doesn’t add the same, fresh flavor.
Run a slice of lime around the edge of the margarita glass. Then dip the rim in salt.
Add the bourbon, Cointreau, lime juice and agave to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well, strain and serve.
Although it would be easier to add whiskey to margarita mix, it just doesn’t taste the same. It is worth it to make your own whiskey margarita from scratch.
If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you can use a mason jar. Add all the ingredients and a handful of ice to a mason jar, close the lid and shake well. Then strain and serve.
- For a stronger drink, use less agave. Some people will prefer a much stronger, bourbon drink. If that’s the case, decrease the amount of agave by half.
- If salting the glass edge with coarse salt, use agave. Sometimes, agave works better to hold large, coarse salt crystals on a rim. Dip part of the rim in agave, then immediately press it into the salt. Repeat all around the edge of the glass, then set the glass upside down on a paper towel for 10 minutes to dry.
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 cocktail 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This easy bourbon margarita is just like a regular margarita but with a whiskey twist. It’s the perfect drink for any time of year.
- 1 oz bourbon
- ¾ oz Cointreau
- 1 ½ oz lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 oz agave syrup
- Salt (optional)
- Run a slice of lime around the edge of a margarita glass and dip it in salt.
- Add the bourbon, Cointreau, lime juice, agave syrup and a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker. Shake well for 5-7 seconds until the outside is frosted. Strain and serve into the prepped margarita glass, filled with fresh ice. Enjoy responsibly!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 30g
- Sodium: 3mg
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 35.1g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: margarita recipe, bourbon recipe, bourbon cocktail
Leave a Reply