This easy blood orange whiskey sour is the best bourbon sour cocktail to make this winter. It’s not too sweet, and not to heavy on the whiskey, giving it the perfect balance of blood orange flavour and whiskey undertones.
Why this is the best blood orange bourbon sour
- There are only 4 ingredients. Blood oranges, lemon, whiskey and simple syrup. This cocktail comes together in under 5 minutes.
- Fresh blood orange juice. The freshly squeezed blood orange juice is what makes this drink so delicious. Enjoy those blood oranges during winter while you can get them!
- It’s not too strong. This sour cocktail is designed to let the whiskey flavour come through, but not too strongly.
- Whiskey or bourbon: Use your favorite brand or whatever you have on hand.
- Blood orange juice: Squeeze the fresh juice from the oranges by hand, or use a juicer if you have one.
- Lemon juice: Use freshly squeezed juice only! It makes a huge difference in the taste.
- Simple syrup: Make some yourself (see below) or buy this pre-made.
Add the whiskey, blood orange juice, lemon juice and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker with ice.
Shake for 5-7 seconds, until frosted on the outside. Strain and serve into a glass with fresh ice.
Heat equal parts of water and granulated sugar (1 cup water and 1 cup sugar for example), on a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar has fully dissolved. Remove the pan from heat and let the syrup cool before using. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a couple weeks.
Yes, this bourbon sour will still taste delicious with regular oranges, but it won’t have the same citrusy, tangy, raspberry-like blood orange taste.
- Each blood orange gives 2-3 oz juice. Using a juicer will help you extract the most juice possible.
- Adjust the whiskey to your taste. If you prefer a stronger drink, add an extra ounce of whiskey.