This easy blood orange whiskey sour adds a fruity spin to the classic cocktail. Made with whiskey, fresh blood orange juice, lemon juice and simple syrup. It’s not too heavy on the whiskey and not overly packed with sugar. The perfect balance of blood orange flavor and whiskey undertones.
It”s blood orange season, so what better way to use up a couple of those delicious blood oranges with an even tastier cocktail? And since you can’t find blood oranges year round, make this cocktail now while you can! You’ll miss it in summer time.
If you love bourbon and whiskey flavored cocktails, you may also like this Pear Bourbon Cocktail.
On its own, I actually really don’t like whiskey or bourbon, but in a cocktail, it can be so tasty. This blood orange cocktail is designed to let the whiskey flavor come through but not too strongly. That being said, if you love strong whiskey drinks, just add an extra shot of whiskey to adjust the strength.
- Whiskey — You can use whiskey or bourbon for this cocktail. Use your favorite brand.
- Lemon Juice — Use freshly squeezed lemon juice if you have it.
- Blood Orange Juice — Squeeze the fresh juice from the blood oranges by hand or with a juicer for maximum efficiency. Each cocktail will use the juice from 1-2 blood oranges.
- Simple Syrup — This can be bought premade in the store or easily made following the recipe below.
How to make simple syrup:
This cocktail, like many cocktails, uses simple syrup. This is a liquid mix of sugar and water used to add sweetness to cocktail drinks. If you don’t want to make it, you can find simple syrup pre-made, but it is much cheaper to make yourself.
Start with equal parts granulated sugar and water. The minimum quantity I use is ¼ cup granulated sugar and ¼ cup water because I find that less that this amount doesn’t mix as well. Heat the sugar and water on a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. This takes about 5 minutes. Let the syrup cool to room temperature before mixing into your cocktails.
You can store any extra syrup in a sealed jar in the fridge to use later for other cocktails.
Other cocktails you may like:Print
This easy blood orange whiskey sour adds a fruity spin to the classic cocktail. It’s not too heavy on the whiskey and not overly packed with sugar. The perfect balance of blood orange flavor and whiskey undertones.
- 1 oz whiskey
- 1 oz lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 oz blood orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp simple syrup
- Mix the whiskey, lemon juice, blood orange juice and simple syrup together in a glass. Stir well.
- Use any type of whiskey or bourbon for this cocktail.
- If you like a stronger drink, add an extra shot (1 oz) of bourbon.
- Generally there is about 2-3 oz of juice per blood orange, depending on the size.
- You can buy the simple syrup pre-made or make it easily yourself for much cheaper. See the blog post for instructions on how to prepare the simple syrup.
- Optionally, serve this cocktail over ice.
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cocktail
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 13mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18.7g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Blood orange, whiskey cocktails, whiskey, bourbon cocktails