Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
This banana watermelon smoothie is the most refreshing smoothie. It is made in under five minutes with only three ingredients: watermelon, banana and ice. Perfect for serving with tacos or spicy barbecue wings on a hot summer day while relaxing on the patio.
This watermelon banana smoothie is similar to this pineapple mango smoothie, this watermelon pineapple smoothie or this papaya smoothie. These are all easy-to-make, fruity frozen slushy-like smoothies that are ideal for a hot summer day.
Why this is the best watermelon banana smoothie:
- You only need 3 ingredients. Just banana, watermelon and ice. It’s possibly one of the easiest smoothies to make. But even though it’s simple doesn’t mean it doesn’t taste as good as other smoothies. Sometimes the simplest is the best, and that is definitely the case here.
- It doesn’t have yogurt. Some smoothies taste better without yogurt. In this smoothie, yogurt takes away from the refreshing slightly slushy texture and pure watermelon flavor, adding a sourness that is not enjoyable.
- It’s easy to make a large batch. If you’re having a barbecue or brunch get together, this is an easy smoothie to quickly make for a large group of people.
- Watermelon: Use fresh watermelon chunks! This is what you taste the most, so use the tastiest, most delicious watermelon. This smoothie uses one cup of watermelon chunks per serving, so you could make a whole pitcher using a large watermelon. Use seedless watermelon to save time having to pick out all the seeds before blending.
- Banana: The banana complements the watermelon so well. Use a slightly ripe, but not overly ripe banana.
- Ice Cubes: In some smoothies, ice cubes are optional, but in this smoothie, they are essential. The ice makes the smoothie extra cold and adds the most satisfying slightly slushy texture.
How to make it:
- Prep the fruit: Cut the watermelon and banana into small, blendable sized chunks. Remove the seeds from the watermelon if there are any.
- Blend: Add the watermelon, banana and ice to a blender. Blend only until the fruit is broken down, and there are very small chunks of ice, giving the smoothie a slushy-like texture.
Yes, this is definitely a healthier smoothie. It is made entirely of fresh fruit. Fruit itself does have natural sugar, but there are no sweeteners or extra sugary juices added.
Watermelon goes so well with banana in this smoothie! But there are many other fruits that pair well with watermelon as well.
- Make this smoothie fresh. Drink this smoothie as soon as you make it. Otherwise the ice will begin to melt, losing the slushy texture and diluting the flavor.
- Don’t over-blend! Only blend this smoothie until everything is mostly broken down. Since the watermelon and banana are softer, they will be fully blended. But there still should be some small ice chunks. If you blend too much, the ice will melt and you will lose the delicious refreshing slightly slushy texture.