This easy watermelon shooters recipe makes the best watermelon shots you’ve ever tasted. Made with fresh watermelon, rum, and peach schnapps, they taste just like watermelon sugar gummy candies. They take 5 minutes to make and can be stored in the fridge until ready to drink!
Why these are the best watermelon shots:
- They taste just like watermelon candy shots. If you like those sweet watermelon sugar gummy candies, then you have to try this watermelon shooter. It tastes just like those candies in liquid form. Yes, these shooters are sweet, but are just the right size to not be overpoweringly sweet.
- They are low in alcohol. Unlike classic shots, there is only one ounce of alcohol per 6 shooters. Which means these are perfect for people who don’t normally like shots, since they don’t taste anywhere near as strong as regular shots.
- They are great for a party or a barbecue. These are the best fancy shooters for an event, birthday party or a chill summer barbecue. They are quick and easy to prepare for a large group in advance.
Ingredients & Substitutions:
- Watermelon: Use fresh, seedless watermelon. This will be blended and strained for a smooth, watermelon juice.
- Rum: Any type of white rum works best for this recipe. You could also substitute this with another type of hard white alcohol such as vodka or tequila.
- Lemon Juice: Use freshly squeezed lemon juice. This brings out and balances the sweet watermelon flavor.
- Peach Schnapps: Peach schnapps in a watermelon shot recipe? Trust me, you don’t taste the peach, but this secret ingredient somehow pulls all the flavors together perfectly.
- Simple Syrup: This is a liquid sugar that is used to sweeten drinks. You can easily make a batch yourself with granulated sugar and water. Or you can buy it pre-made from the grocery store.
How to make simple syrup:
To make simple syrup, heat equal amounts (for example 1 cup each) of granulated sugar and water on a saucepan over medium to high heat.
Stir occasionally as the syrup comes to a gentle simmer. Continue to simmer for about 5 minutes until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove the syrup from the stove and let it cool to room temperature before using it in your drinks.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to several weeks.
How to make watermelon shooters:
- Add the watermelon chunks, alcohols, lemon juice and simple syrup to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pass the mixture through a fine mesh sieve. Chill the shots in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Make these shots in advance. These watermelon shots taste just as delicious when made in advance. If you’re making them for guests, prepare them the night before and store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Chill the shot glasses. If you have the time, chill the shot glasses in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to an hour before serving these shooters. The cold glass keeps these shooters nice and refreshing on a hot day.