Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This blue hurricane drink is an easy summer cocktail or Mardi Gras inspired drink. Made in 5 minutes, this bright blue tropical drink is easy to make for a couple people or a large crowd.
What is a Hurricane Cocktail?
A classic hurricane cocktail is made with rum, lemon juice, orange juice and passion fruit syrup. Rather than blue, it is a bright orange-red color. This drink is most popularly known for being served in New Orleans.
This blue hurricane version is made with blue curacao instead of passion fruit syrup which gives this cocktail its bright blue color.
- This cocktail has a bright blue color that makes this cocktail feel extra tropical and summery.
- This drink is the perfect Mardi Gras inspired cocktail to make at home.
- It takes only 5 minutes to make and is easy to make 1 or 2 drinks at a time or enough for a large group.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Blue Curaçao: Blue curaçao gives this drink its bright blue color. You can use Triple Sec or Cointreau as a substitute for the flavor. However, you would need to add a few drops of blue food coloring to make the drink blue.
- Rum: This recipe uses a combination of white rum and Malibu rum to give a bit of coconut flavor. You can leave out the Malibu if you find it too sweet. Don’t replace the white rum with Malibu as this will overpower the rest of the flavors in the drink.
- Lime Juice: Lime juice, rather than lemon juice works best for this drink. Only use freshly squeezed lime juice. This makes a huge difference in the quality of the drink.
- Fruit Juices: A combination of pineapple and orange juices give this drink its tropical flavor. If you have the time, use freshly squeezed juices, otherwise use high quality store bought ones.
- A cocktail shaker to make the drink.
- Hurricane glasses or a large pitcher to serve the cocktail in.
- Cocktail picks to use for cocktail garnishes.
Step 1: Add the blue curaçao, white rum, Malibu, pineapple juice, orange juice, lime juice and a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well for 5 to 8 seconds until the outside of the cocktail shaker is frosted.
Step 2: Strain and pour the cocktail into a hurricane glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish and serve immediately.
- Avoid using dark rum rather than white rum. The darker rum color will dull the drink’s bright blue color.
- This recipe makes enough to fill a standard hurricane cocktail glass filled to the brim with ice. Adjust the quantity as needed depending on your cocktail glasses.
- Chill your cocktail glasses in the fridge for at least 1 hour or in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before serving to keep your drink chilled.
- To prevent your drink from becoming watered-down on a hot day, freeze some orange and pineapple juice ice cubes to serve with this drink instead of regular ones.
How to Serve this Drink for a Crowd
If you are serving this blue hurricane drink for a group of people, it is easiest to use a large pitcher. Ideally, it is best to make this drink in a cocktail shaker, but you can skip this step and simply mix all the ingredients together to save time.
For a two litre or 68 oz pitcher, use 1 ⅓ cups each of blue curacao, white rum, pineapple juice, orange juice and lime juice. Use ⅔ cup of Malibu rum.
For easy preparation, use a juicer to juice the limes in advance.
Mix all the ingredients together in a pitcher, and chill in the fridge for an hour before serving. Do not add ice to the pitcher, otherwise this will water down the drink.
Before serving, mix or shake all the ingredients together well as the ingredients will separate slightly even if they look as though they are mixed.
Serve in chilled cocktail glasses filled with fresh ice. Optionally, prepare garnishes in advance and pre-garnish the drinks while they are chilling in the fridge.
Blue curacao is an orange liqueur with a slightly sweet and bitter taste. It is made from the peel of a Laraha, or Curaçao orange, from the island of Curaçao.
Yes. For a frozen cocktail, blend all the ingredients together with a handful of ice.