This pineapple old fashioned adds a fruity, pineapple twist to the classic cocktail. Made with whiskey, fresh pineapple juice, angostura bitters and simple syrup. This may just be the best version of an old fashioned cocktail you’ve ever tried.
Not a fan of a regular incredibly strong old fashioned? Me neither. But I am absolutely in love with this pineapple old fashioned. Fresh pineapple juice adds a tart fruitiness that cuts the bitterness of the whiskey without being overly sweet. On the other hand if you do like the classic boozy drink but want to try this pineapple version, just adjust how much pineapple juice you add — instead of 4 oz, only add 2 oz.
- Whiskey — If you have a preference for a certain type, use that. Otherwise use whatever you have on hand. Bourbon also works just as well.
- Pineapple Juice — If you have a juicer, use that to extract fresh pineapple juice. Alternatively, you can blend or purée pineapples in a food processor and then pass this mixture through and fine mesh sieve. Or for the fastest option, you can use store bought pineapple juice...but it won’t taste quite as fresh.
- Angostura Bitters — You can buy bitters at your local liquor store or easily online on Amazon. If you are into making cocktails, they will definitely come in handy for many drinks. Although it’s only a couple drops it really does pull this drink together.
- Simple Syrup — This is a liquid mixture of sugar and water to add a small amount of sweetness. It is easy to make yourself or to buy premade.
How to Make Simple Syrup:
Heat equal parts granulated sugar and water on a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently. I like to make this in batches of 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar, however you can make as little as ¼ cup water with ¼ sugar.
Continue to stir the mixture until the granules of sugar are completely dissolved. Remove the syrup from the heat and let it cool to room temperature before mixing into cocktails. Store leftovers in a sealed jar in the fridge to have ready on hand for any future drinks.
Other drinks you may like:Print
This pineapple old fashioned adds a fruity, pineapple twist to the classic cocktail.
- 1 oz whiskey
- 4 oz pineapple juice
- 2-3 dashes angostura bitters
- ½ tsp simple syrup*
- Add the whiskey, pineapple juice, angostura bitters and simple syrup to a cocktail glass. Gently stir.
- * Make your own simple syrup following the instructions in the blog post or buy some pre-made.
- If you have a juicer, use it to extract fresh pineapple juice for this cocktail.
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cocktail
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 13.6g
- Sodium: 2.9g
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17.6g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: Summer cocktails, easy, simple, quick, winter cocktails