Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This homemade brown sugar whipped cream is perfect for serving with pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie. It’s easy to make in a few minutes with only 3 ingredients.
Making your own homemade toppings & fillings for desserts, makes dessert even better.
This espresso buttercream is a delicious cake frosting.
Homemade whipped cream — and especially this brown butter one— can go on almost any dessert, especially fall flavored ones.
- It’s perfect for fall & the holidays. The molasses in brown sugar gives this whipped cream a deep, rich flavor that makes it the best fall dessert topping.
- You only need 3 ingredients. All you need is brown sugar, cream and vanilla.
- It goes with everything. There are so many creative ways to use this whipped cream that it won’t last long!
Ways to Use
This brown sugar whipped topping will go on almost any dessert, but here are some ideas of how to use it:
- Pumpkin Pie: Everyone loves whipped cream on pumpkin pie, but this brown sugar one makes it extra decadent.
- Sweet Potato Pie: A few scoops of this topping pairs perfectly with this popular Thanksgiving dessert.
- Hot Chocolate: Top your hot chocolate with a dollop of whipped cream. This brown sugar one pairs especially well with this amaretto hot chocolate, this coffee hot chocolate or this baileys hot chocolate.
- Dessert Martini: Top a dessert martini such as this pumpkin RumChata martini with a scoop of this whipped cream.
- Coffee: Add this to either an iced latte such as this iced brown sugar oat milk latte or stir it into a hot latte such as this coconut milk latte.
- Cheesecake: Serve with a slice of cheesecake. Caramel or apple crisp cheesecake would go well with the brown sugar flavor.
- Brownies: Add a scoop on top of brownies such as these after eight brownies or these pear & hazelnut brownies.
- Whipping Cream: Use heavy whipping cream (35%). This will whip properly to give the whipped cream the best consistency.
- Brown Sugar: Any type of brown sugar will work for this recipe. For a richer, more caramel flavor, use dark brown sugar.
- Vanilla Extract: A small dash of vanilla extract adds a bit of sweetness and flavor.
- A large electric hand mixer for a large batch of whipped cream.
- A mini electric mixer with a whip attachment for a small batch.
- Step 1: Using an electric mixer, whip the cream, brown sugar and vanilla extract together on high speed.
- Step 2: Continue to whip the cream for about 1 to 3 minutes until stiff peaks form.
This brown sugar whipped cream is best when used fresh, right after being made.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 to 6 days.
Note that although it won’t spoil, it will lose fluffiness after a couple days.
- Use cold cream. Make sure the cream is very cold before whipping it. Cold cream will whip much better.
- Freeze the equipment. Freeze the electric beater and bowl that you’ll be using to make the whipped cream in for about 30 minutes. This will help keep the cream cold so it whips better.
- Stabilize the whipped cream. Stabilize the cream by adding 1 oz of cream cheese. Note that this will add a slightly tangy taste.
- Coffee Flavored: Add in 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder.
- Cinnamon Flavored: Add in ½ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Pumpkin Flavored: Add in 1 to 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice.
If you would like the whipped cream to be sweeter, add an extra 1 to 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
15% cream or half and half will not whip up the same way as whipping cream and will not work for this recipe.