This espresso buttercream frosting is made with real espresso for the richest, most authentic espresso flavor. Made with only 4 ingredients: espresso, butter, icing sugar and vanilla.
However you can use it with any of your favorite baked goods.
Why This Is The Best Espresso Buttercream
- It uses real espresso. Other espresso frosting recipes use instant espresso powder, but this recipe uses real espresso for the best flavor.
- It takes 10 minutes to make. This is a very simple frosting recipe and you probably already have the ingredients you need on hand.
- It goes well with so many baked goods. Use this frosting for cupcakes, this breakfast coffee cake, macaron filling, or just eat it as is!
- Espresso: The espresso flavor comes through quite strongly. Use a high quality espresso that tastes good.
Use an electric mixer to whisk the butter for 4-5 minutes until light and pale.
Continue to whisk while adding in the icing sugar a little bit at a time.
Add in the espresso and vanilla extract and mix for another minute until light and fluffy. Don’t over mix.
Store extra buttercream in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
This frosting goes especially well with this coffee banana cake. It also goes well on any type of cake or cupcakes.
- Use a kitchen scale. It is hard to accurately measure the icing sugar without a kitchen scale. Measuring ingredients by weight is always the most accurate way to bake.
- Adjust the powdered sugar. If you want a slightly firmer frosting, add in an extra few tablespoons of icing sugar. Note that the more icing sugar, the weaker the coffee flavor.