Fudgy, chocolatey after eight brownies. A delicious, rich chocolate fudge brownie base topped with a melted after eight mint chocolate layer. This is THE BEST after eight brownie recipe and these literally taste like the brownie version of an after eight mint.
After eight mints are addicting. They are one of those chocolates you can just keep snacking on endlessly. After I had snacked away on one Costco box of after eights, I wondered what else I could make with the two boxes I still had left. Obviously, adding even more chocolate to attempt to make the best after eight brownies ever was the answer.
And oh boy these taste SO good. These brownies have a very dense, fudgy base which are then topped with a melted after eight layer. This after eight layer is what make these taste like true after eight brownies.
Fair warning though, these are sweet. You can only have a small square at a time. If you don’t have a major sweet tooth or are not a mint brownie person, try these Pear and Hazelnut Brownies instead.
How to make the after eight layer:
The base part of these brownies are made just like any other. There is no mint flavor in the batter because you don’t need it — this after eight topping layer is more than enough.
On a side note — you can put this after eight layer on any other type of brownie. If you don’t like rich fudgy brownies, make your own favorite brownie recipe and just add this layer on top.
Wait until the brownies are finished cooking and out of the oven before starting this top layer. If the mixture cools down too much, it will harden and it won’t spread as easily over the top.
In a saucepan over low heat, melt all 23 after eight mints with the butter. Stir frequently or the chocolate may burn. Once the mixture is smooth, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool for only a couple minutes. Pour it over the now semi-cooled brownies. It is important not to cut or remove the brownies from the baking dish yet!
Cover and put the 8x8 baking dish in the fridge for at least 4 hours. This layer needs the time to properly set in place. After 4 hours (or longer), remove them from the fridge, cut them into pieces and transfer them to an airtight container. Unless eating them, store these brownies in the fridge so the after eight layer stays fresh.Print
Fudgy, chocolatey After Eight brownies. This is THE BEST After Eight brownie recipe. These brownies literally taste like the brownie version of an After Eight mint.
- Brownie Batter:
- ⅔ cup (145g) cup butter
- ⅔ cup (100g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup (130g) granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- After Eight Layer:
- ½ cup (115g) butter
- 23 After Eight mints
- Grease or line an 8x8 square baking dish with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Start by making the brownie batter. Melt the butter and chocolate chips together in a saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Don’t mix too much, stop once everything is well combined.
- Mix the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Gradually mix in the flour to the wet ingredients. Stop mixing once combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Wait until the brownies come out of the oven to begin preparing the after eight layer. Leave the brownies uncut, in the 8x8 baking dish to cool down.
- Meanwhile, melt the after eights and butter on a saucepan over low to medium heat. Stir continuously to avoid burning the mixture. Once melted into a smooth mixture, remove from the heat. Let the after eight mixture cool for just a couple minutes before pouring over the brownies. Spread the layer smoothly.
- Cover the baking dish and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or even overnight until the after eight layer has set. Then, remove the brownies from the fridge, cut them into pieces and transfer them to an airtight container for longer storage. Store these brownies in the fridge or they will melt slightly.
- Don’t leave these brownies out at room temperature for too long or they will slightly melt. They taste best right out of the fridge.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Category: Brownies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 21g
- Sodium: 153mg
- Fat: 18.5g
- Saturated Fat: 11.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 59.5g
Keywords: After eight mints, after eight, brownies