This creamy coffee hot chocolate is made with real chocolate and instant coffee. Then topped with a delicious homemade coffee whipped cream. Caffeinated hot chocolate is the perfect drink to start off your day!
Why this is the best caffeinated hot chocolate recipe
- It’s the best breakfast hot chocolate. One serving has the equivalent caffeine in one cup of coffee. Why not serve this with a weekend brunch?
- It’s made with instant coffee powder in milk. By mixing the coffee powder in milk instead of water, it creates an extra creamy, rich drink.
- It’s topped with coffee-flavored whipped cream. This is the best whipped cream, and it adds the perfect touch to this hot chocolate!
- Instant coffee powder: Use a high quality brand. The flavor really comes through in the whipped cream, and it’s worth it to use a quality instant coffee or instant espresso powder.
Heat the milk, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa powder and instant coffee powder together on a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk to combine all the ingredients. Continue to heat for about 5 minutes until the mixture is hot, but not boiling.
Remove from the heat. Whip the cream, sugar and instant coffee powder together until stiff peaks form. Add on top of the hot chocolate and enjoy.
A cafe mocha is mostly coffee with a bit of chocolate. This coffee hot chocolate is mostly chocolate with a bit of coffee. Both drinks have caffeine, but this hot chocolate really tastes like hot chocolate rather than flavored coffee.
No. Regular coffee won’t work in this recipe because it will dilute the drink too much. Instant coffee powder is dissolved in milk to give this drink an extra creamy taste.
- Don’t boil the hot chocolate. Adjust the heat if necessary, but don’t let the mixture come to a boil on the stovetop.
- Use a whisk. A whisk, rather than a wooden spoon, works best to properly mix all the ingredients together.
- Add more instant coffee for a stronger drink. If you want to give your drink an extra caffeine boost, you can add as much as 2 teaspoons of instant coffee powder per serving.