This healthier hot chocolate is both low sugar and low calorie, making it the perfect treat that won’t ruin your diet. Only 78 calories per serving, and made in 5 minutes on the stovetop. With its satisfying milky, chocolatey taste, you’d never know this is a healthy hot cocoa drink.
There are so many variations of hot chocolate to try. If you want an oat milk based drink, try this oat milk hot chocolate.
For days when you are looking for a more decadent treat, try this amaretto hot chocolate.
Why this is the best low calorie hot chocolate
- It only has 78 calories per serving. You could drink this every day for breakfast and dinner and never feel guilty about it!
- It doesn’t taste like “healthy” hot chocolate. This is still everything you want a cup of hot chocolate to be. There is no sacrificing that hot chocolate satisfaction.
- It takes 5 minutes to make. Make this in the morning while the toast is in the toaster. Just heat everything together on a pan and it’s ready to go.
- Artificial Sweetener: There are many brands of artificial sweetener. Use whichever you have on hand.
Heat the cocoa powder, milk, artificial sweetener and vanilla extract together on a pan over medium heat. Continue to whisk, until heated through and all the ingredients are well combined. Remove from the stove and serve immediately.
In regular hot chocolate, most of the calories and sugar come from using chocolate chips or chocolate bars. This recipe uses cocoa powder with a small amount of artificial sweetener to still get the chocolate taste without the calories and sugar.
This entirely depends on what you add to your drink. Many people add lots of cream and sugar to their coffee which makes it not as healthy. Similarly, there are many different ways to make hot chocolate — some that are incredibly decadent and high in calories, and others (like this recipe) that are on the healthier side.
- Use high quality cocoa powder. Since the chocolate flavor comes entirely from cocoa powder in this recipe, make sure to use a quality powder for the best taste.
- Vegan Option: To make this hot chocolate vegan, replace the cow’s milk with almond milk or oat milk instead.