This rich dark hot chocolate with amaretto is the best creamy spiked alcoholic hot chocolate. Milk, dark chocolate, sugar and vanilla melted together. A shot of amaretto mixed in, topped with whipped cream, sliced almonds and chocolate sauce.
Hot chocolate is always better from scratch. If you like experimenting with flavors, try this oat milk hot chocolate.
Why this is the best amaretto hot chocolate
- It’s made from dark chocolate. Dark chocolate + sweet almond amaretto make a truly delicious combination.
- Almond + chocolate sauce topping. The whipped cream topped with sliced almonds and chocolate sauce drizzle is to die for.
- It’s easy to make. It only takes a few minutes to make, just melt everything together and enjoy.
- Dark chocolate: You can use regular chocolate bars instead of chocolate chips. High quality dark chocolate will taste best in this drink.
- Amaretto: Disaronno is one of the more common types of amaretto, but you can use any type you have.
On a saucepan over low to medium heat, heat the dark chocolate chips, milk, sugar and vanilla extract together.
Continue to stir until the chocolate fully melts.
Remove the hot chocolate from the stove, mix in the amaretto and top with whipped cream, sliced almonds and chocolate sauce.
The sweet almond flavor combines with the rich dark chocolate and milk to make a creamy, thick chocolatey almond drink.
Both are made using dark chocolate, but French hot chocolate uses brown sugar instead of granulated sugar, and adds in cream. (It also doesn’t have amaretto!)
Amaretto is a sweet Italian liqueur that works in a lot of drinks. If you like cocktails, try this amaretto sunrise.
- Use a whisk. A whisk, rather than a spatula or a wooden spoon helps the chocolate dissolve faster and more evenly.
- Don’t boil the hot chocolate. Use low to medium heat and don’t let the mixture boil or you may cause the milk to burn.
- You can leave out the amaretto. If you want a nonalcoholic hot chocolate, don’t add the amaretto and this is a delicious dark chocolate hot chocolate. Or, add in a few drops of amaretto extract to still get that sweet almond flavor.