A creamy, healthy (and vegan!) breakfast papaya avocado smoothie. Made with only four ingredients that you can find year round, including a banana and orange juice for a little sweetness.
What is the best way to eat papayas? To drink them! Seriously, they are great in this Papaya Kale Smoothie or in a cocktail like this Papaya Rum Punch. Sometimes on their own papayas can be a bit bitter. However they go so well with other fruit. Mixed with avocado and bananas, there is only delicious flavor without any bitterness.
This is a healthy breakfast meal, or a post-workout energizing drink. Feel free to mix up the ingredients a bit, smoothies are very forgiving. Try adding in blueberries, mango or spinach — any combination of these would taste great.
How to buy papaya:
If you are looking to eat your papaya right away or one the next day or so, choose one that is mostly yellow with a little green. It is fully ripe when it is all yellow. To the touch, it should be a little soft but not too soft, but still firm and heavy.
When is papaya in season?
You can find papayas all year round (which is why this is a great recipe even for the winter time). However, their peak season is in early summer.
Is avocado good in smoothies?
Yes, so good! They add a lot of creaminess. Try adding them to other smoothies you love and you’ll notice the difference. Plus, it’s a great way to use up that already cut open avocado before it goes icky brown.
- Papaya — Most are quite large so you will have leftovers to use for something else. Cut it open and remove the seeds, then cut it up into blendable-sized chunks.
- Avocado— You will only need about ¼ of an avocado per smoothie, so if you are making a batch of four, one will work nicely. Or, make a single papaya avocado smoothie and an avocado toast breakfast!
- Banana— for extra creaminess and thickness
- Orange juice — for mixing and adding a little bit of sweet flavor.
Other smoothie recipes to try:Print
A creamy, healthy (and vegan!) breakfast smoothie. Made with only four ingredients that you can find all year round.
- ½ cup papaya chunks
- ¼ avocado
- ½ banana
- ¾ cup orange juice
- Add the papaya chunks, avocado, banana and orange juice to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- If you can, use fresh orange juice for the best taste.
- Category: Smoothies
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 small serving (½ recipe)
- Calories: 128.7
- Sugar: 13.8g
- Sodium: 6.3mg
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated Fat: 0.75g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22.4g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Vegan smoothies, papaya avocado smoothie, healthy smoothies