Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Love Potion Cocktail is a simple 4 ingredient vodka cocktail with a red sugar rim that is perfect for Valentine’s Day. It’s easy to customize and great for date night or for serving a group of friends.
This cranberry vodka martini is specifically made for Valentine’s Day, but there are other red and pink martinis that work just as well.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Valentine’s Cocktail — The bright red color of this cocktail along with the red sugar rim make it perfect for Valentine’s Day. Add some Valentine’s themed garnish and this drink is ready to be served at a Valentine’s party.
- Customizable — This cocktail is made with cranberry juice and vodka, but it can be customized to your liking. Try it with pomegranate or grapefruit juice instead.
- Easy to Make — With only 4 ingredients, this drink comes together in less than 5 minutes.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Vodka: Regular vodka works perfectly well for this recipe, but if you have a citrus or fruit flavored vodka on hand (such as strawberry vodka or raspberry vodka), those would work well as substitutes.
- Cranberry Juice: This cocktail is made with cranberry juice, but you can replace the cranberry juice with any red colored juice, such as grapefruit juice, pomegranate juice or fruit punch.
- Lemon Juice: Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best results.
- Grenadine: Grenadine is used to line the rim of the martini glass, as well as to add some sweetness and a stronger red color to the drink. You can replace this with another red colored simple syrup, such as strawberry simple syrup, raspberry simple syrup or cherry simple syrup.
How To Make A Love Potion Cocktail
Step 1: Dip the rim of a martini glass in grenadine and press it into a small amount of granulated sugar to line the rim of the glass. Set aside.
Step 2: Add the vodka, cranberry juice, lemon juice and a dash of grenadine to a cocktail shaker. Shake well and strain.
- Adjust the amount of alcohol. As is, this is a strong drink (as most martinis are). If you want a sweeter drink, reduce the amount of vodka, or add in more than a dash of grenadine.
- Chill the martini glasses. Once you have lined the martini glasses with their red sugar rim, chill the martini glasses in the fridge or freezer for 30 minutes before serving the drink.
- Add Valentine’s garnish. If you are serving this drink for Valentine’s day, add some garnish that fits the theme, such as heart marshmallows or strawberries and raspberries on heart cocktail picks.
Yes. You can replace the vodka with any type of alcohol you like, such as tequila or rum.
Yes. For a large batch, mix all the ingredients together in a pitcher and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.