These chocolate pomegranate overnight oats are an absolutely delicious decadent chocolate breakfast! A rolled oats, cocoa powder and milk overnight oats base, combined with a rich chocolate ganache and pomegranate layer mixed in. Then topped with even more pomegranate seeds and chocolate ganache.
These chocolate pomegranate overnight oats take overnight oats to a whole other level. I can’t promise these are the lowest calorie breakfast, however they are not the most calorific breakfast... so that counts for something.
Most chocolate overnight oats use just cocoa powder for the chocolate flavor. This recipe uses a bit of cocoa powder for some chocolate flavor but mainly rich chocolate ganache. Combine this with the crunchy pomegranate arils that have a little pop of fresh fruit flavor and this combo is just incredibly addictive.
Plus, the best thing about this recipe is how quick it is to make and once made, ready to go immediately the next morning.
How to make the chocolate ganache:
This is the part that takes a little bit longer, but it is so worth it. Heat up the cream on a saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a slight boil, stirring occasionally as it heats up.
As soon as the cream reaches a boil, remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the cream over the chocolate chips. Stir continuously until the mixture turns into a rich, smooth chocolate ganache.
Let this ganache cool slightly before mixing into your chocolate pomegranate overnight oats.
Ingredients for Chocolate Pomegranate Overnight Oats:
- Rolled Oats — These are the best type of oats for overnight oats. I haven’t tried steel cut oats for this overnight oats recipe so I can’t comment on how well they would work, but generally taste-wise and texture-wise, rolled oats are better.
- Milk — I like to use regular milk, but you can also use any milk substitute of your choice (almond milk, etc.)
- Cocoa Powder — for a little bit of chocolate flavor in the rolled oats portion
- Cream — for the chocolate ganache. Use any type of heavy cream (35%), such as cooking cream or whipping cream.
- Chocolate Chips — You can use any type of chocolate chips. Regular semisweet chocolate chips work well. Or, you can use dark chocolate chips for a rich dark chocolate ganache (this is my favorite for this recipe).
- Pomegranate Arils — One pomegranate will give you about a cup of pomegranate arils.
These chocolate pomegranate overnight oats are an absolutely delicious decadent chocolate breakfast!
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- First, prepare the chocolate ganache. On a saucepan, bring the cream to a boil, stirring occasionally. As soon as it reaches a boil, remove the cream from the stove and pour it directly over the chocolate chips. Stir until the chocolate is fully melted and the ganache is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix the rolled oats, milk and cocoa powder together in a bowl.
- Fill each serving glass halfway full with the rolled oats mixture.
- Next, add a chocolate ganache layer. Add half of the chocolate ganache on top of the rolled oats mixture, followed by half of the pomegranate arils.
- Add the rest of the rolled oats mix on top of the chocolate ganache pomegranate layer.
- Top off each serving with a final layer of pomegranate seeds and chocolate ganache.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Use any type of milk you like — oat milk, almond milk, etc.
- If you want a more rich dark chocolate flavor, use dark chocolate chips instead of semisweet chocolate chips.
- Category: overnight oats
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 545
- Sugar: 34g
- Sodium: 80mg
- Fat: 24.4g
- Saturated Fat: 12.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 75.3g
- Fiber: 11.4g
- Protein: 14.1g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
Keywords: chocolate pomegranate overnight oats, overnight oats, pomegranate