Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These pistachio overnight oats are a healthy, easy to make breakfast idea. Oats mixed with pistachios, brown sugar, honey and dark chocolate chips. Topped with a drizzle of chocolate and shredded coconut.
Overnight oats are always a quick and easy breakfast option. Plus, there are so many varieties of flavors to try.
- The pistachio + honey + dark chocolate combination makes a tasty, original overnight oats recipe.
- These oats are easy to prepare in less than 5 minutes. Most of the time making them is letting them sit in the fridge overnight.
- Packed with protein, these pistachio oats make a healthy & filling breakfast idea that can be meal-prepped for the week in advance.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Pistachios: Choose unseasoned pistachios. If you are using pistachios that still have their shell on, deshell them before measuring them out.
- Oats: Use rolled oats or old fashioned oats. These will create the perfect texture for overnight oats. Avoid quick or instant oats which will end up too soggy. Steel cut oats will also not work as their texture is too tough.
- Milk: Whole (3.25%) milk will make the creamiest oats. However, you can use any type of milk you like. For a non-dairy alternative, use oat milk or almond milk.
- Honey & Brown Sugar: The combination of honey and brown sugar adds sweetness to the oats and complements the pistachio flavor. Use maple syrup as a substitute.
- Dark Chocolate Chips: Dark chocolate pairs very well with pistachios. However, you can use any flavor of chocolate chip. For a healthy option, leave out the chocolate chips, or halve the quantity.
- Pistachio Extract: Pistachio extract adds an extra pistachio flavor that is infused throughout the oats. Use a high quality extract. Lower quality extracts will give a more artificial flavor. If you can’t find pistachio extract, you can leave it out — the oats will still taste delicious.
- Vanilla Extract: A small dash of vanilla extract adds a bit of flavor and sweetness.
- Cardamom: A tiny dash of cardamom complements the other ingredients in the oats.
- Coconut: These oats are topped with a small amount of shredded coconut right before serving.
- A small bowl to mix the ingredients together in.
- Airtight serving containers, such as small mason jars, to store and serve the oats in.
Step 1: Mix the rolled oats and milk together.
Step 2: Mix in the pistachios, honey, brown sugar, chocolate chips, pistachio extract, vanilla extra and cardamom together. Refrigerate overnight. Top with coconut and melted dark chocolate before serving.
- In the fridge: Overnight oats will last for up to 5 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container. However, they will taste freshest if they are consumed within 2 to 3 days.
- In the freezer: Freezing overnight oats is not recommended. Freezing will significantly change both the taste and texture.
- These oats can become thicker the longer they sit in the fridge. Add a splash of milk to refresh the oats right before serving them.
- Add extra toppings. Toppings include melted dark or white chocolate, honey, freshly chopped pistachios or shredded coconut. Add these toppings right before serving to prevent them from becoming soggy.
- To make these pistachio oats healthier, halve the sugar and honey and leave out the chocolate chips.
- Reduce the pistachio extract. Not everyone loves the taste of pistachio extract. If you have a lower quality pistachio extract, or only want a subtle pistachio flavor, halve the amount of pistachio extract.
Not really. Although some of the ingredients are similar — such as the pistachios and honey, these oats don’t have quite the same taste.
Pistachio extract can be difficult to find in local supermarkets. You can find pistachio extract online. If you have a local specialty spice store, this is probably the best place to find the highest quality extract.