Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These creamy birthday cake overnight oats taste like you’re eating dessert for breakfast! They are easy to prepare in 5 minutes for busy weekday mornings.
Overnight oats are always a quick and easy breakfast option. Plus, there are so many varieties of flavors to try.
- These oats are easy to prepare in less than 5 minutes. Most of the time making them is letting them sit in the fridge overnight.
- They have a sweet cake batter flavor that tastes like you are eating dessert for breakfast. Plus, the sprinkles really make it look like a funfetti cake.
- They are completely customizable. Adjust the sweetness or add in any extra ingredients you like. Overnight oats are a forgiving recipe.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Milk: Whole (3.25%) milk will make the creamiest oats. However, you can use any type of milk you like. For a non-dairy alternative, I’d recommend almond milk.
- Oats: Use rolled oats or old fashioned oats. These will create the perfect texture for overnight oats. Avoid quick or instant oats which will end up too soggy. Steel cut oats will also not work as their texture is too tough.
- Sprinkles: Use any variety or color of sprinkles. Keep in mind that the sprinkles will melt a bit and some colors can form a brownish color. I used pink, white and yellow sprinkles which bled into a light pink color.
- Maple Syrup: Use real maple syrup for the most authentic flavor. You can use honey as a substitution.
- Sugar: This recipe uses granulated sugar, but you can substitute this with brown sugar or an artificial sweetener instead.
- Almond Butter: Almond butter gives the oats a creamy texture. You can use cashew butter as a substitution.
- Vanilla & Almond Extract: The combination of vanilla and almond extract gives these oats their cake batter flavor. If you can find it, you can substitute the almond extract with butter extract for an even more cake-like taste.
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds thicken up the oats slightly and also provide a source of protein and fiber for a healthy breakfast.
- A small bowl to mix the ingredients together in.
- Airtight serving containers, such as small mason jars, to store and serve the oats in.
Step 1: Mix the rolled oats and milk together.
Step 2: Add in the sprinkles, maple syrup, sugar, almond butter, chia seeds, vanilla extract and almond extract. Mix well until evenly combined. Divide into two serving containers and refrigerate overnight.
- In the fridge: Overnight oats will last for up to 5 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container. However, they will taste freshest if they are consumed within 2 to 3 days.
- In the freezer: Freezing overnight oats is not recommended. Freezing will significantly change both the taste and texture.
- Reduce the sweetness. These birthday oats are definitely sweeter compared to other overnight oats recipes. To reduce the sweetness, halve or remove the granulated sugar.
- Add a splash of milk before serving. Sometimes these oats can become thicker after sitting in the fridge for a few days. To freshen them up and thin them out, add a small splash of milk right before serving.
- To make the oats thicker: If you prefer thicker oats, add in a scoop of plain Greek yogurt, or use 1 to 2 tablespoons less milk.
- Stir in the sprinkles before serving. The sprinkle colors will bleed in these oats. If you have multi-colored sprinkles, they may create an ugly brown color. To prevent the colors from bleeding, stir the sprinkles into the oats right before serving.
- Vegan: For plant-based oats, replace the cow’s milk with almond milk. Oat milk and coconut milk will also work, but almond milk will taste the most like a birthday cake flavor.
- Coconut Cake: For birthday coconut cake oats, replace half the milk with coconut milk. Add in 1 to 2 tablespoon of shredded coconut.
- Chocolate Cake: For chocolate cake oats, stir in a couple spoonfuls of chocolate sauce, or add ½ a tablespoon of cocoa powder.
- Protein: For an extra protein boost, add in 1 scoop of vanilla or chocolate protein powder.
Overnight oats can be served warm or cold. To warm the oats, heat them in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.
Sprinkles that are mixed into the oats will bleed their color. Either choose sprinkles that will mix into a pretty color (such as pink or purple), or mix in the sprinkles right before serving.