Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What if you could eat a caramel macchiato? These creamy caramel macchiato overnight oats taste just like your favorite breakfast latte. Coffee, milk and caramel, soaked into rolled oats overnight then topped with an extra drizzle of caramel. These overnight oats are your morning coffee and breakfast rolled into one.
Overnight oats are a classic breakfast go-to, but even more essential is a morning coffee. These overnight oats are the perfect combo of both. They are easy to prepare in advance for mornings when you just don’t have time or energy to make yourself breakfast.
- Coffee: Use your favorite type of coffee. The coffee flavor comes through strongly so don’t skimp out on quality coffee. You can make a large batch if you want to prepare multiple caramel macchiato overnight oats for the week.
- Caramel Sauce: This homemade version is made with sugar, butter and cream. It is really easy to make, but if you prefer, you can use a store bought caramel sauce instead.
- Oats: Use rolled oats or old fashioned oats. These will create the perfect texture for overnight oats. Avoid quick or instant oats which will end up too soggy. Steel cut oats will also not work as their texture is too tough.
- Milk: Whole (3.25%) milk will make the creamiest oats. However, you can use any type of milk you like. For a non-dairy alternative, use oat milk or almond milk.
How to make the caramel sauce:
Heat the granulated sugar on a saucepan over medium to high heat until the sugar melts into a brown goopy liquid. Stir occasionally to avoid the sugar from burning.
Then, turn the heat down very slightly, add the butter and mix until melted.
Remove the saucepan from the stove and immediately add the cream. Mix until dissolved into a creamy caramel sauce.
Let the sauce cool to room temperature before using in these macchiato overnight oats.
Overnight oats will last for up to 5 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container. However, they will taste freshest if they are consumed within 2 to 3 days.
The recipe for the homemade caramel sauce will make more than needed for just just one serving of macchiato oats. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Use any extra caramel sauce in this Billy Miner Pie Recipe, over ice cream, pancakes, or your coffee.
- Sometimes overnight oats can become thicker after stored in the fridge. If this happens, add a splash of milk to the oats right before serving.