What if you could eat a caramel macchiato? These creamy caramel macchiato overnight oats taste just like your favorite breakfast latte. A good dose of caffeine, some milk and caramel, soaked into rolled oats overnight then drizzled in even more homemade caramel sauce. These overnight oats are your morning coffee and breakfast rolled into one.
Overnight oats have always been a classic breakfast go-to, but even more essential is a morning coffee. These overnight oats are really the perfect combo of both. They are easy to prepare in advance for mornings when you just don’t have time or energy to make yourself breakfast, let alone a fancy coffee drink.
I have so many favorite overnight oats recipes including these Chocolate Pomegranate Overnight Oats and these Maple Raspberry Overnight Oats. I often make whichever recipe I happen to have the ingredients on hand for.
- Coffee — Use your favorite type of coffee. The coffee flavor comes through strongly so don’t skimp out on quality coffee here. You can make a large batch if you want to prepare multiple caramel macchiato overnight oats for the week.
- Milk — I use regular milk for this recipe because that is my preference, but you can substitute this for any type of milk you like (such as almond milk). Note that the flavor of the milk you choose will alter the taste slightly.
- Rolled Oats — These are the best type of oats to use for overnight oats.
- Caramel Sauce — This homemade version is made with sugar, butter and cream. It is really easy to make, but if you prefer, you can use a store bought caramel sauce instead.
How to make the caramel sauce:
Heat the granulated sugar on a saucepan over medium to high heat until the sugar melts into a brown goopy liquid. Stir occasionally to avoid the sugar from burning. Then, turn the heat down very slightly, add the butter and mix until melted. Remove the saucepan from the stove and immediately add the cream. Mix until dissolved into a creamy caramel sauce. Let the sauce cool to room temperature before using in these macchiato overnight oats.
The recipe for this caramel syrup will make more than needed for just just one serving of macchiato oats. However, you can use the extras for many purposes such as in this Billy Miner Pie Recipe, over ice cream, pancakes, or your coffee. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.Print
What if you could eat a caramel macchiato? These creamy caramel macchiato overnight oats taste just like your favorite breakfast latte.
- 1 cup coffee
- 2 tbsp caramel sauce (see below for homemade sauce)
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ¼ cup oats
- Caramel Sauce:
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp butter
- ⅛ cup heavy cream
- First, prepare your coffee. Let it cool slightly as you prepare the caramel sauce. You want it to be slightly warm/hot when mixing in the caramel sauce and milk so everything mixes smoothly, but it doesn’t need to be burning hot.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramel sauce. If you are using a store bought caramel sauce, skip this step. Heat the granulated sugar on a pan over medium to high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar melts into a thick brown liquid. This should take about 5 minutes. Once melted, slightly decrease the heat (to about medium heat) and add the butter, mixing until melted. Remove the pan from the stove and immediately add the cream, mixing to form a creamy caramel sauce. Let the sauce cool to room temperature.
- Your coffee should have cooled slightly by now, but still be fairly warm. Stir in the milk, sugar and 2 tbsp of the caramel sauce you just prepared.
- Pour the coffee mixture and rolled oats into a bowl and stir well until combined. Divide the rolled oats mixture into your serving glasses or jars. Store covered in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight to allow the oats to absorb the liquid.
- Right before serving the next morning, warm up a small amount of caramel sauce in the microwave for 15 seconds and drizzle it on top.
- If you are only making one serving of the oats, you will have some leftover caramel sauce. Store the extra sauce in an airtight container or jar in the fridge for up to a week. You can use the sauce on pancakes, over dessert, in coffee, etc.
- Category: Rolled Oats
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 26.6g
- Sodium: 24mg
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.3g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 44.5g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Cholesterol: 12.6g
Keywords: Rolled oats, caramel macchiato, overnight oats