Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These chocolate RumChata pudding shots are perfect for serving at your next party. Easy to make with only 4 ingredients. Topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, these are the most delicious dessert shots!
For other party shot recipes, try these watermelon shooters.
- The chocolate & RumChata combination in these shots is delicious.
- These creamy pudding shots are a great dessert shot for a large group of people or a party.
- They are easy to make and only require 4 ingredients.
What is RumChata?
RumChata is a unique, creamy liqueur made with rum, cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Its name originates from a cross between rum and the Spanish drink, horchata.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Instant Pudding: Use any brand of chocolate instant pudding powder. This recipe doesn’t work with already-made pudding.
- RumChata: You should be able to find RumChata at your local liquor store. You could substitute this with Baileys — it will still taste delicious, but won’t have the same flavor.
- Milk: Use whole (3%) milk for the most creaminess. However, the recipe will also work with 2% or skim milk.
- Cool Whip: You can find cool whip in the freezer section of the grocery store. It acts as a stabilizer for the pudding shots. This can’t be substituted with whipped cream.
- A whisk to mix the ingredients together.
- Glass shot glasses or plastic shot glasses for serving the pudding shots in.
- Mini spoons for serving the pudding shots.
Step 1: In a small bowl, whisk the chocolate pudding powder, milk, and RumChata together.
Step 2: Gently fold in the cool whip until evenly combined.
Step 3: Divide the pudding shots into your serving glasses and let them set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Make Ahead & Storage
These RumChata pudding shots can be made up to 3 to 4 days in advance. Store shots covered in the fridge.
If the pudding shots have been sitting in the fridge for a while, the RumChata can slightly sink to the bottom, making the bottom of the shot more concentrated.
Before serving, gently stir the pudding shots. Then, add any toppings and serve immediately.
- Don’t transfer the pudding shots once they set. Once the pudding shots set, they will not transfer smoothly to another container. For presentation, allow the pudding to set in the containers you want to serve them in.
- Don’t overmix the cool whip. Gently fold in the cool whip, stopping once it is combined. Overmixing can cause the pudding shots too become too liquidy.
- Adjust the RumChata to milk ratio. For stronger shots, use 1 ⅓ cup RumChata and ⅔ cup milk. For more chocolatey shots, use 1 ⅓ cup milk and ⅔ cup RumChata.
- Different pudding flavors: Instead of instant chocolate pudding, try vanilla, pistachio or banana.
- Other liqueurs: Replace some of the RumChata with Baileys or Kahlua for a tasty combination of liqueurs.
This recipe will make between 12 to 16 pudding shots, depending on the size of the shot glass you are using.
Even though RumChata is cream-based, you don’t need to refrigerate it after opening. Store it at room temperature, away from heat. For the best taste, consume it within 6 months of opening.