This delicious, chocolate iced mocha latte is an easy copycat version of the Starbucks' favorite. Iced coffee, mixed with milk, cream and a homemade chocolate syrup. Save time and money and make this drink at home every morning.
Starbucks offers a bunch of different latte drinks that are all easy to make at home, such as this lavender latte, iced chai tea latte, this starbucks pistachio latte or this iced chai tea latte with pumpkin cold foam.
Why this is the best mocha iced coffee
- Chocolate + Coffee. The little bit of chocolate sauce makes your morning latte that much more decadent.
- Simple ingredients. You don’t need any fancy syrups that you have to specially order. You probably have all the ingredients you need in your house right now.
- Easily customizable. Some people find the Starbucks version too sweet, or not sweet enough. Making this latte at home means you can customize it exactly how you want.
What is in a mocha?
A mocha is a type of coffee latte drink with some sort of chocolate flavoring added to it. Mocha lattes can be served hot, or as in this recipe, served on ice for an iced latte.
- Chocolate simple syrup: This recipe uses an easy, homemade chocolate simple syrup made with cocoa powder, granulated sugar and water. If you prefer to use a store bought chocolate syrup, you can use that instead. Make sure you buy a simple syrup that is meant to be used in drinks. You may need to adjust the quantity added as different syrups have different degrees of sweetness.
How to make an iced mocha
First, make the chocolate simple syrup. Heat the cocoa powder, sugar and water on a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, and continue to simmer for 10 minutes, until the sugar fully dissolves.
Remove the pan from the heat and let the syrup cool for a few minutes before using it in your latte.
Mix the chilled coffee with the milk and cream.
Stir in the chocolate syrup. Serve with a handful of ice.
Yes, this latte is just as good served as a hot mocha drink. Use hot coffee instead of chilled, and don’t add ice.
An iced latte is an iced coffee based drink with some milk and or cream. An iced mocha is almost the same, but it also has chocolate flavoring added.
- Store extra simple syrup in the fridge. Store any leftover syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a couple of weeks.
- Making in advance: To make this drink quicker, make a large batch of chocolate simple syrup and chilled coffee in advance. Store both of these ingredients separately, in airtight containers in the fridge. When ready to make your latte, mix all the ingredients together and serve.