Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This cranberry rum cocktail is the perfect holiday rum drink. Filled with tropical flavor, this Christmas drink has a unique Caribbean twist.
For a holiday mocktail to serve alongside this cranberry rum punch, try this cranberry mocktail.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Tart & Tangy — The cranberry and lime combination give this punch drink a refreshing tanginess that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- Holiday Rum Drink — It’s hard to find festive rum-based cocktails, but this one fits the bill. It tastes like a combination of Christmas and Caribbean beach all in one.
- Large batch — This is an easy cocktail to serve in a large pitcher, or as a self-serve punch bowl recipe.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Cranberry Juice: Cranberry juice is the star ingredient of the cocktail. I use a red cranberry juice to give the drink its red, Christmas color, but you can experiment with white cranberry juice if you prefer.
- Rum: Use your favorite type of white rum for this recipe. You could also substitute this for another type of rum, such as dark, spiced rum for a spiced drink, or Malibu for a coconut flavored rum.
- Pineapple Juice: Use store bought pineapple nectar, or a tropical fruit juice blend as a replacement. Mango nectar also works well as a substitute.
- Orange Juice: If you have the time, use freshly squeezed orange juice, otherwise use a high quality store bought juice.
- Lime Juice: Lime juice adds to this cocktail’s tangy bite. Opt for freshly squeezed lime juice rather than bottled lime juice.
How To Make A Cranberry Rum Cocktail
Step 1: Add the cranberry juice, white rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, lime juice and a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Step 2: Shake well and strain into a chilled cocktail glass filled with ice.
- Rim the glasses: For an extra burst of flavor, rim the cocktail glasses with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar before pouring the cocktail.
- Mocktail version: To make this a mocktail, leave out the rum and add in some club soda for a bit of fizz. Alternatively, serve this cranberry rum cocktail alongside this cranberry mocktail recipe.
- Chill the glasses: Especially if you are serving this drink punch bowl style, chilling the cocktail glasses in the freezer for 30 minutes can help keep the cocktail extra cold.
- Add some garnish: If you are serving this drink to guests, add some garnish for an elegant presentation. Some ideas include fresh cranberries, lime wheels or a sprig of thyme or rosemary.
Yes! This is a great cocktail for Christmas or Thanksgiving. Multiply the recipe quantity as needed and mix all the ingredients together in a large pitcher or punch bowl instead of shaking it in a cocktail shaker.
This rum and cranberry juice cocktail will always taste best when made fresh. However, you can prepare it a few hours in advance and store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.