This chocolate simple syrup is the best simple syrup to use in any type of drink, coffee, cocktail or even on cake. It’s perfect for any fall or winter drinks such as chocolate cocktails, hot chocolate, or chocolate lattes. It is vegan, uses only 3 ingredients and quick to make in only 15 minutes.
Flavored simple syrups such as this blueberry simple syrup or this thyme simple syrup, let you create an endless array of creative cocktails and drinks. This chocolate one is another syrup to add to your collection.
Chocolate Simple Syrup vs. Chocolate Sauce
This chocolate simple syrup is not quite the same thing as a classic chocolate sauce. Simple syrup is made with sugar, water and in this case — cocoa powder. Chocolate sauce may also contain melted chocolate, cream or butter, giving it a richer, thicker texture.
What’s the difference? This chocolate simple syrup is the best syrup for drinks. Regular chocolate fudge sauce won’t work as smoothly in a cocktail to sweeten and add flavor in the same way. If you’re making any type of chocolate drink, you need this chocolate simple syrup.
You can still add this simple syrup sauce to pancakes, waffles or ice as you normally would with chocolate sauce, but it won’t be quite as rich or fudgy as classic chocolate sauce.
Ways to use:
- Cocktails: Chocolate cocktails can be absolutely delicious, especially around fall and Christmastime. Add a couple spoonfuls of this syrup to any cocktail that has baileys or a coffee liqueur for a delicious drink.
- Coffee & Lattes: This is the best sweetener and flavoring for coffee. Coffee with a bit of chocolate is addictively good. Add a spoonful to your morning hot coffee to make a mocha. Or, add some to chilled coffee for an iced chocolate latte.
- Milkshakes & Smoothies: Add a few tablespoons of this syrup to any breakfast smoothie or milkshake to easily give it a chocolate flavor.
- Cakes: Simple syrup is often used to keep cakes moist and soft. You can use this chocolate syrup instead for chocolate cakes to add an even richer taste. After the cake has come out of the oven and cooled, pour this liberally over the cake, spread it out and let it sink in so the flavor can be fully absorbed.
- Pancakes, waffles & ice cream: You can absolutely drizzle this over any kind of food you want! As mentioned above, it is a syrup, not a sauce, so it won’t be as thick or fudgy as regular chocolate sauce, but still tastes delicious. It works well as a healthier option than other store-bought sauces.
- Cocoa Powder: This is what gives the syrup its chocolate flavor. Use regular, unsweetened cocoa powder that you would normally bake with.
- Sugar: Sugar adds sweetness to the syrup. Classic simple syrup uses granulated sugar. You could use brown sugar, but this will give a slightly more caramel flavor.
- Water: Water is used to create a smooth syrup with the right consistency.
- Let it simmer. For plain, unflavored simple syrup, it is ok to stop heating the syrup once the sugar fully dissolves in the water. However, because this syrup uses cocoa powder, when the syrup is cooking on the pan, it is too dark to see if the sugar granules have dissolved or not. Therefore, continue to heat the syrup for the full 10 minutes to make sure the sugar dissolves and you end up with a smooth, chocolate syrup.
- Store the syrup in the fridge. This simple syrup needs to be refrigerated. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a few weeks.