Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy ricotta honey toast is a simple 5 minute breakfast or fancy appetizer. Crispy toast, with a spread of creamy ricotta topped with walnuts, sliced almonds, fresh strawberries and a drizzle of warm honey.
This recipe is also perfect as an appetizer, just like these goat cheese croquettes.
- Ricotta + Honey + Nuts. The creamy ricotta, with crunchy walnuts and sweet drizzle of honey makes this toast delicious.
- It takes 5 minutes to make. This ricotta toast comes together so quickly, you can make it even on busy mornings.
- They are great for brunch or as an appetizer. This toast is great as a breakfast on its own, a brunch side or served as an appetizer with wine.
- Bread: Any type of bread will work. If you can find it, fresh sourdough bread works well for this recipe.
- Ricotta: For the creamiest flavor, use fresh, full fat ricotta cheese.
- Honey: A drizzle of honey adds some sweetness.
- Olive Oil: A small amount of olive oil is used to spread on the toast before the ricotta. You could substitute this with a small amount of butter.
- Strawberries: Use fresh, not frozen, strawberries. There are lots of fruit options that would taste delicious on this toast. See below for different variations.
- Walnuts & Almonds: The combination of walnuts and almonds adds flavor and a bit of crunch. There are options below for different topping substitutions if needed.
- A toaster or a mini oven to toast the bread.
- An appetizer serving platter or serving board if you are serving this toast as an appetizer.
Step 1: Toast the bread in a toaster for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown. Then, spread the olive oil lightly over the surface of each slice.
Step 2: Spread the ricotta cheese on top.
Step 3: Layer the sliced strawberries over the ricotta. Sprinkle on the walnuts and almonds. Heat the honey in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds to warm it. Then, drizzle it over the toast.
This toast doesn’t store well. It should be enjoyed immediately.
However, if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 to 2 days. Re-warm the toast in a mini oven for a couple minutes until warmed throughout.
- Serve fresh. This honey ricotta toast tastes best as soon as it is made. If you are preparing a brunch, make this toast last so it stays warm.
- Use baguette bread for an appetizer. If you are serving this recipe as an appetizer, baguette bread works well to make bite-sized appetizers.
There are lots of different variations you can make with this ricotta toast. It is hard to go wrong. Here are some ideas:
- Nuts & Seeds: Pistachios, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are a great substitute for the walnuts and almonds.
- Fruits: Experiment with different fruits. Berries such as blueberries, blackberries and raspberries work really well on this toast. You can also try pears or figs for a savory version.
- Fresh Herbs: Add in some fresh herbs such as basil, thyme or rosemary.
Yes. Spread the olive oil on the bread first, and then bake at 400F for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden brown.