Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This red devil drink makes the perfect Halloween cocktail. The combination of sloe gin and grenadine give this drink a bright red, spooky look.
For another creative Halloween drink for a party, try these alien brain hemorrhage shots.
For other red colored drinks, try this bourbon cherry cocktail, this raspberry moscow mule, this strawberry martini, this blackberry bourbon smash, this bourbon raspberry cocktail or this madras drink.
- The bright red color of this cocktail gives it a spooky & creepy feel that is perfect for serving at a Halloween party.
- This red devil drink is less strong than the original version (which is basically pure alcohol).
- It is easy and quick to make a large batch for a group of people in under 5 minutes.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Sloe Gin: Sloe gin is a red liqueur made with gin and sloes, which are a fruit similar to plums. You should be able to find sloe gin in your local liquor store, but if not, you can replace this with regular gin. If needed, you can add a few drops of red food coloring to keep the red color.
- Southern Comfort: Southern comfort is a whiskey liqueur flavored with fruits and spices. You can replace this with another type of whiskey or bourbon.
- Orange & Pineapple Juice: Use freshly squeezed orange juice or freshly juiced pineapple for the best taste. Or, high quality store-bought brands.
- Grenadine: Grenadine adds sweetness to this drink and also contributes to the bright red color.
Step 1: Add the sloe gin, Southern Comfort, orange juice, pineapple juice and grenadine to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Step 2: Shake well and strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice.
- This drink is a strong cocktail and you can taste the alcohol in it. To make this drink taste less strong, use only ½ ounce of sloe gin and ½ ounce of Southern Comfort.
- To make this group for a large group of people, add all the ingredients to a pitcher and stir well to mix. Chill for an hour before serving. Stir well immediately before serving. For a 68 ounce pitcher, use 4 cups of orange juice, 2 cups of pineapple juice, 1 cup sloe gin, 1 cup pineapple juice and ½ cup grenadine.
- If you don’t like the flavor of grenadine or want to experiment with different flavors, replace it with a flavored simple syrup, such as this strawberry syrup, or this raspberry syrup.
Yes. Although less strong than the original, this is still a strong drink.
This version is similar to the original but includes less alcohol. The original drink also uses Peach Schnapps and Triple Sec. There is also a lower juice to alcohol ratio.