Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Pineapple Upside Down Cake Shot is an easy, 3 ingredient shot recipe that creates a stunning layered effect. Serve this impressive looking shot at your next party!
For another type of layered shot recipe, you’ll love these Rainbow Shots.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Tasty — Unlike regular shot recipes, these ones are sweet & delicious and really taste like an Upside Down Pineapple Cake!
- 3 Ingredients — You just need 3 ingredients for this recipe: vodka, pineapple juice and grenadine.
- Layered Effect — These shots create a layered effect that makes them extra presentable for guests at a party, especially if you are serving a bunch of them on a large platter.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Vanilla Vodka: Vanilla flavored vodka gives these shots their cake-flavored taste. You can use cupcake vodka or whipped cream vodka instead. For alternative types of alcohol, try white amaretto or white rum.
- Pineapple Juice: Use a high quality, pulp free pineapple juice. It is important to use a smooth juice so that you can clearly see the layers.
- Grenadine: Grenadine will form the pinkish red layer that sits on the bottom of the shot. You can replace this with another type of red colored simple syrup, such as strawberry simple syrup or raspberry simple syrup.
How To Make A Pineapple Upside Down Cake Shot
Step 1: Add the vodka to the shot glass.
Step 2: Add the pineapple juice and gently mix with the vodka.
Step 3: Gently pour the grenadine down the back of a spoon, allowing it to settle on the bottom of the shot glass.
- Add the ingredients in the right order. Even though it seems counterintuitive to add the grenadine last, if you add it first, it will just mix with the other ingredients and you won’t get a layered effect.
- Pour the grenadine down the back of a spoon. You can still get the layered look without using a spoon, but if you are finding the layers are mixing together, try this trick!
- Use unique shot glasses. Try serving these pineapple shots in uniquely shaped shot glasses, such as these heart shot glasses for an even more stunning look.
- Add garnish. A maraschino cherry is a classic garnish for this shot recipe, but you could also try a dollop of whipped cream or a cocktail pick with mini pineapple chunks.
This shot is called a Pineapple Upside Down Cake Shot because it is meant to taste just like an actual Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
Yes, you can make these shots up to a few hours in advance and chill them in the fridge until you are ready to serve them.
This recipe will still work with regular vodka, but for the classic taste, vanilla vodka is necessary. Alternatively, you could use regular vodka and add in a dash of vanilla syrup to compensate.