Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Malibu rum shooters are the perfect shots to serve to guests at a summer party. A combination of Malibu coconut rum, mango juice and blue curaçao give these shots a fruity boost of tropical flavor.
Shooters and shots recipes are great to make when you are entertaining a group of people.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy — There are only 4 ingredients in these shooters, and you can make a large batch of them in under 5 minutes.
- Tropical — The combination of coconut rum, mango and blue curaçao make these sweet shots taste like a tropical drink you would find on a Caribbean beach.
- Party Shots — These Malibu shots are a fun recipe to make for a party. The blue color and sweet flavor make them a shooter that everyone will love.
- Customizable — There is no right or wrong combination of flavors for shots with Malibu rum. There are lots of suggestions for different ways to combine flavors based on ingredients you have on hand and your personal preference.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Malibu Rum: Malibu rum is a sweet coconut flavored rum that is found in a lot of tropical drinks. You can use a regular Malibu or a flavored Malibu, such as Malibu passion fruit or Malibu watermelon. Alternatively, if you only have white rum, you can use that as well.
- Mango Juice: Mango juice brings out the tropical flavor and goes well with the coconut rum. However, there are many juices that will work with these shots. As a substitute, use pineapple juice, orange juice, guava juice or fruit punch.
- Lime Juice: Freshly squeezed lime juice will give the freshest flavor. However, for shooters, you can get away with using bottled lime juice if you are serving a bunch of guests and want to save time.
- Blue Curaçao: Blue curaçao is an orange liqueur that you can find in your local liquor store. There are many different brands to choose from. Use whatever you have on hand or whatever is available to you.
How To Make Malibu Rum Shooters
Step 1: Add the Malibu, mango juice, lime juice and blue curaçao to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Step 2: Shake well and strain into chilled shooter glasses.
- Chill the shooter glasses. These shooters taste extra refreshing when served in ice cold shot glasses. Put your shooter glasses in the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour before pouring your shots and serving guests.
- Add garnish. A small garnish can be fun on shooter glasses. For these Malibu shooters, I like to use a mini lime wedge or a maraschino cherry.
- Serve on a platter. If you are serving a bunch of guests, try serving these shots on a large platter so guests can help themselves as they come in to your party.
It is best to prepare these shooters just before serving them. If they wait too long, the alcohol can separate, resulting in a less smooth shot.
Yes! The blue curaçao gives these shots their blue color. To change up the color, replace the blue curaçao with another, colorful ingredient. For example, for red Malibu shots, use this strawberry simple syrup. Or for yellow shots, use a clear orange liqueur instead.