Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This honey ginger syrup recipe is easy to make in 15 minutes with only 3 ingredients. It’s perfect for adding into tea, lemonade or making cocktails with.
Homemade flavor simple syrup recipes are a great way to create so many unique drinks, such as homemade craft cocktails or flavored iced tea and lemonades.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 3 ingredients — You only need 3 ingredients to make this recipe! Honey, water and fresh ginger.
- 15 minutes — You can make a large batch of this syrup in under 15 minutes.
- Versatile — There are so many ways to use this syrup. Use it to make unique cocktails, lemonade or flavored sodas.
How To Use Honey Ginger Syrup
You can use honey ginger syrup in any type of drink recipe. It will easily dissolve into both hot and cold drinks. Here are some ideas:
- Cocktails — Add a ginger twist to any of your favorite, classic cocktails, or create your own.
- Mocktails — This syrup is great for creating mocktails that have just as complex and interesting flavors as cocktails do, such as this lychee mocktail. Combine it with different fruit juices and club soda for some fizz.
- Lemonade — If you are making your own homemade lemonade, this syrup can work as both a sweetener and flavoring to make a honey ginger lemonade. You can also combine it with fruity simple syrups, like this blackberry simple syrup for a ginger blackberry lemonade.
- Tea — Use this syrup as a sweetener for both hot tea and iced tea. Combine it with raspberry simple syrup for an iced raspberry ginger iced tea, for example.
- Ginger: Use fresh ginger only! Ground ginger will not give enough flavor for this syrup. Peel and dice the ginger before making the syrup. The more finely diced the ginger is, the more flavor will be infused into the syrup.
- Honey: Regular simple syrup uses granulated sugar. However, this honey ginger syrup uses honey as the sweetener as well as the flavoring.
- Water: Water gives the simple syrup just the right consistency. Use filtered water to avoid any unpleasant flavors from tap water.
How To Make Honey Ginger Simple Syrup
Step 1: Heat the honey, ginger and water together in a saucepan until the honey fully dissolves.
Step 2: Strain out the ginger chunks and let the syrup cool to room temperature.
Fridge: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 to 2 weeks. Shake or stir well before using.
Freezer: Store in a freezer safe container, leaving room for expansion, for up to 3 months. Let the syrup thaw in the fridge overnight before using.
- The syrup should be liquid. Once it has cooled, this syrup should have a liquid consistency that is slightly thicker than water. If the syrup is thick and sticky, it was likely heated for too long at too high a temperature. To fix, heat the syrup on low and stir in a few tablespoons of water to loosen up the syrup.
- Add in some herbs. If you are looking to create a unique variation, add in a handful of fresh herbs as you are making the syrup, such as thyme, rosemary or basil.
- Dice the ginger finely. The more finely diced the ginger is, the more surface area is exposed while making the syrup, which means more ginger flavor will be infused.
Yes! This is a great recipe to use up honey that has hardened and is no longer as spreadable. The honey will melt as it is heated.
Generally 1 to 2 tablespoons per cup will be enough flavoring. Start by adding less and adjusting to taste. Keep in mind that the syrup adds both flavoring and sweetness, so you may need to reduce other sweetners in your drink to avoid it being overly sweet.