Pomegranate, kale and feta salad topped with a simple pomegranate vinaigrette. The perfect winter salad to accompany any meal or as a healthy lunch salad on its own. A kale salad base with crumbled feta and fresh pomegranate arils on top. Drizzled with a light pomegranate vinaigrette dressing made with fresh pomegranate juice, white wine vinegar and olive oil.
December is pomegranate season… so here is one of my favorite winter salad recipes. Pomegranates in salad add a delicious fruitiness and pop of color. Plus, this salad is one of the simplest salads to put together. In under 10 minutes you can have salad ready for the whole family or meal prepped for the week.
The most tedious part in making this pomegranate, kale & feta salad is probably removing all the pomegranate arils from the pomegranate. When I buy pomegranates, I tend to remove the arils all at once and store them in a sealed container in the fridge until I am ready to use them.
Obviously the arils will be freshest right after removing them, but if you are in a pinch for time and trying to plan ahead, prepping in advance will really help. They will stay fresh enough stored in the fridge for up to about a week — but generally they are such an easy thing to snack on that they won’t last that long.
Making the pomegranate vinaigrette:
Putting together the vinaigrette probably requires the most work because you need to juice a few pomegranate arils, but it is totally worth it! However if you do need to cut down on time, you could use a regular balsamic vinaigrette instead.
This pomegranate vinaigrette is what makes this salad unique. It is made with a white wine vinegar rather than a balsamic vinegar to complement the light fruity pomegranate taste. Combined with a bit of honey to act as a sweetener and olive oil to balance the vinegar, this vinaigrette adds a delicious pomegranate flavor to every bite of this salad.
The easiest way to make pomegranate juice is to add the arils to a juicer. If you don’t have one, then you can mash the pomegranate arils through a fine mesh strainer, but this will take more time and require using more arils.
Mix all the pomegranate vinaigrette ingredients together in a sealed jar and shake vigorously before pouring over the salad. Shake well every time before using this dressing as it will separate easily when resting. Store leftovers in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to a week.
Other salad recipes to try:
Pomegranate, kale and feta salad topped with a simple pomegranate vinaigrette. The perfect winter salad to accompany any meal or as a healthy lunch salad on its own.
- 4 cups kale
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- ⅔ cup feta
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ tsp honey
- ¼ cup fresh pomegranate juice
- ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- Wash and cut the kale into bite sized pieces. Add the pomegranate arils, crumbled feta and toss the salad.
- For the dressing, mix the olive oil, honey, pomegranate juice and white wine vinegar together in a sealed container or jar. Shake to mix vigorously. Immediately pour the dressing on the salad and serve.
- The calculated calories for this recipe assume you are using all of the dressing— but more than likely you will have leftover. It is just easier to measure out a slightly larger amount for this recipe rather than use super odd measurements.
- A single serving of this salad without dressing has 200 calories.
- A single small serving of dressing is about 158 calories.
- Ideally, use fresh pomegranate juice for the dressing if you have it. The easiest way to get the juice out of a pomegranate is to pass the arils through a juicer. If you don’t have a juicer, mash the pomegranate arils through a fine mesh sieve.
- This dressing will separate quickly. Shake the dressing very well before immediately pouring it on the salad.
- Store leftover vinaigrette in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: ~ 1 cup
- Calories: 459
- Sugar: 19.9g
- Sodium: 358mg
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated Fat: 9.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 24.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29.8g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Protein: 8.6g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
Keywords: Healthy salads, pomegranate kale and feta salad, pomegranate vinaigrette vinaigrette