An easy, boozy and fruity Christmas time cocktail. This pomegranate gin fizz is a simple yet classy drink that is quick to make in a large batch or just for one or two people at a time. Made with fresh pomegranate juice for the most authentic pomegranate flavor, standard simple syrup, gin and a splash of club soda (for the fizz).
Possibly my favorite thing about this cocktail (besides the taste) is the color — it is such a gorgeous shade of red — how could anyone not want to try it?
I love holiday cocktails — but the worst part about them is the time it takes to make which then takes away time you could be spending with your guests/ family.
This pomegranate cocktail does require a little bit of preparation in juicing the pomegranate, and making the simple syrup. However, if you are planning on serving these gin fizz cocktails for dinner guests, you can prep the ingredients the day or two beforehand so that you can quickly whip up a batch once your guests arrive (and as you need refills) so they are as fresh and fizzy as possible.
There are only 4 ingredients in this cocktail: pomegranate juice, simple syrup, gin and club soda. Out of these, the pomegranate juice and simple syrup are the only ones that require some (minimal) preparation.
How to make pomegranate juice:
For the pomegranate juice, use freshly extracted juice! If you choose to buy pomegranate juice instead, make sure to buy the freshest juice you can find. However as it is is pomegranate season, I really encourage you to buy some pomegranates for this cocktail!
First, remove all the pomegranate arils. The easiest and most efficient way to get the pomegranate juice out of the arils is just to pass them all through a juice which takes about 10 seconds. (Cleaning the juicer takes longer).
If you don’t have a juicer, extract the juice by mashing up the pomegranate arils and push them through a fine mesh sieve. This method will require more effort and time and will also use a bit more pomegranate arils because it is not as efficient at extracting the juice compared to the juicer. But if it is the only option you have it will work in a pinch!
How to make simple syrup for this pomegranate gin fizz:
Simple syrup is a standard mixture that is used in many cocktail recipes. You will often come across this ingredient. If you haven’t made simple syrup before, don’t let that scare you off from this drink — it truly is simple to make!
Simple syrup is made of equal quantities of granulated sugar and water (a 1:1 ratio). For a small batch of cocktails I use ¼ cup water and ¼ granulated sugar. It is hard to use smaller quantities than this unless you have an extra small saucepan. If you want a large amount of syrup and lots of extras for later, heat 1 cup of water with 1 cup of granulated sugar.
Heat the granulated sugar and water on a saucepan on medium heat until the mixture comes to a slight boil. Immediately reduce the temperature to low and keep heating for about 5-10 minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Remove the pan from heat and let the mixture cool before refrigerating and using in cocktails. You can make simple syrup and store it in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to a couple weeks to use in all your different cocktail creations.
Try these other cocktail recipes:Print
An easy, boozy and fruit Christmas time cocktail. This pomegranate gin fizz is a simple yet classy drink that is quick to make in a large batch or just for one or two people at a time.
- 3 oz pomegranate juice
- 2 tbsp simple syrup. See recipe above for instructions on how to make the syrup.
- 1 oz gin
- ¼ cup club soda
- a handful of ice
- Prepare the simple syrup according to the instructions in the written blog post above. Let the syrup cool to room temperature before mixing into cocktails.
- Remove the arils from the pomegranate and pass them through a juicer to extract the pure pomegranate juice. If you don’t have a juicer, mask the arils through a fine mesh strainer (this method will require more pomegranate arils).
- Add the pomegranate juice, 2 tbsp of simple syrup, gin and ice to a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously and strain the ice into a glass.
- Top with club soda and serve.
- If you don’t want to make your own pomegranate juice, you can buy ready made pomegranate juice. Choose the freshest type because this will really affect the quality of the drink.
- You can prep the simple syrup and pomegranate juice the night before or even several days beforehand. When your guests arrive, make the drinks fresh in just a few minutes.
- If you are using a juicer, ½ to 1 full pomegranate will give you about 3oz of juice.
- Category: Cocktails, alcoholic drinks
- Serving Size: 6 oz
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 34.5g
- Sodium: 5.6mg
- Fat: 1.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 41.5g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Easy cocktails, pomegranate cocktails, gin cocktails, gin drinks