Light & creamy lemon and white chocolate muffins. Made with the basic muffin ingredients plus fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, Greek yogurt and white chocolate chips to add a bit of sweetness. These are a tasty baked good everyone will enjoy!
White chocolate chips in muffins is the perfect type of breakfast chocolate. On its own it is too sweet to eat too much at once, but baked into a muffin it is delicious. And with the sourness of the lemon flavor to balance out the sugary sweetness, it is the perfect combination.
This is not my first muffin creation with white chocolate chips instead of regular semisweet chips. These banana and white chocolate muffins are also an amazing muffin recipe. However for breakfast, these lemon and white chocolate muffins are a bit lighter and slightly less rich in comparison.
Key Ingredients & Substitutions for Lemon and White Chocolate Muffins:
- Lemon juice. Use freshly squeezed lemon juice if you have that available. If not, you can use artificial lemon juice instead.
- Lemon zest. Use the zest of about ½ - 1 lemon, (1 tbsp). If you don’t have a lemon and are using artificial lemon juice, you can skip this one if you have to, but these muffins will taste better with zest. Even though zest sometimes seems like an unnecessary ingredient, it adds in a lot of natural taste.
- Greek Yogurt. You can use regular, plain yogurt instead as well here. Yogurt adds a delicious creaminess and I love to use it in muffin recipes.
- White chocolate chips. I use generic no name white chocolate chips which I find work great for baking. Obviously you can substitute for regular semisweet chocolate chips but the lemon & white chocolate flavor pairs so nicely!
- Walnuts (optional). If you like, you add in 1 cup of roughly chopped walnuts for some crunchiness.
Other muffin recipes you may like:Print
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease or line a 12 muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest together in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter. Mix in the eggs, lemon juice and yogurt.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring only until just combined.
- Gently fold in the white chocolate chips and walnuts (optional).
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Fresh lemon juice will taste best for these muffins but you can substitute it for artificial lemon juice if that is all you have.
- Category: Muffins, breakfast recipes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 19.8g
- Sodium: 99mg
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated Fat: 6.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 6.5g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
Keywords: Breakfast muffins, healthy muffins, lemon muffins, white chocolate muffins