These healthy banana date oat muffins will quickly become a staple in your kitchen. Made with oatmeal, banana, dates, cinnamon and some brown sugar for sweetness, these muffins are hearty and delicious with every bite.
For a while now, I’ve had a giant bag of dates and several large bags of oatmeal that have been sitting in my back kitchen cupboard . I had to find a way to turn them into something delicious before they went bad. These banana, oatmeal and date muffins are the result. Since making this recipe, I’ve been making a batch of these muffins every few days for the past couple weeks. They keep getting eaten so quickly!
The oatmeal adds a nice, subtle texture and flavor that is perfectly complemented with the banana and dates. I never thought dates would taste so good in muffins but they are just amazing! And a great way to use up those giant Costco size bags of dates … I love dates on their own too but it’s great to have a variety of ways to eat them.
These muffins come together quickly. It is easy to whip up a batch in 30 minutes, and after baking and cleaning up, everything can be done in under an hour. Which means there is never a reason not to have freshly baked muffins for breakfast!
Banana Date Oat Muffin Ingredients:
- Banana — You just need one banana for this recipe. Brown/black bananas add the most moisture and best taste to the muffins.
- Dates — I use dried dates for this recipe. Since they are being baked, you don’t need to use fresh dates — I’d rather save my fresh dates for eating fresh.
- Oats — I use steel cut oats because I prefer the texture with these muffins, but you could use regular rolled oats too.
- Brown sugar — For a bit of sweetness. These muffins are perfect with brown sugar rather than granulated sugar.
- Butter — you can substitute with margarine if you like.
- Cinnamon — for a little bit of flavor.
- Egg, salt, baking soda, baking powder, milk — regular baking ingredients.
How to store:
Store any leftover banana, date and oat muffins in a seal container in the fridge for up to a week. You can warm up a muffin for ~20 seconds in the microwave if you like to eat them warm and serve with a small amount of butter.