These healthy and tasty pear and blueberry muffins are the perfect light breakfast or mid-morning snack. Made with fresh blueberries, pears, cinnamon and ginger for some added flavor. Mix in your favorite nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, for some extra-healthy crunch.
Pears are an overlooked fruit when it comes to muffins. But really they are the perfect addition to so many muffin flavors. If you are a fan of apples in muffins, then you need to try pears. Pears have basically the same consistency as apples, with a high water content. They even have similar-ish flavors, but really the pears are a bit sweeter and subtler, which is why they pair so well with blueberries.
The “secret” ingredient here is the ground ginger. It may seem odd to add ginger to fruity muffins but it really does pull the flavor profile together for this recipe without overpowering the blueberry and pear flavors, so don’t skip it!
Ingredients & Substitutions for Pear and Blueberry Muffins:
- Pears. You can use any type of pear for this recipe.
- Blueberries. Fresh or frozen blueberries will work. If using frozen blueberries, defrost them before using them. Dry off any excess liquid with a paper towel or cloth and lightly coat with flour before incorporating them into the batter. This will prevent the blueberry color from running all over the muffins.
- Ginger. I used ground ginger for this recipe, but you could try fresh diced ginger if you have that on hand. Mince or shred the ginger (your preference) and add ½ tbsp to 1 tbsp.
- Nuts. Experiment and try whichever nuts or combination of nuts you want with these muffins. My favorite nuts for this recipe are either walnuts or pecans. Pecans will add a little more sweetness compared to walnuts, but both are delicious.
Other muffin recipes you may like:Print
Healthy and tasty pear and blueberry muffins made with fresh blueberries, pears, cinnamon, ginger and pecans or walnuts for a little crunch.
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup pears, diced
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
- Add the dry ingredients and milk to the wet ingredients, alternating between the two. Mix only until just combined.
- Fold in the pears, blueberries and nuts.
- Pour evenly into a greased 12 muffin pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Nuts are optional but go really well with these muffins and are a healthy addition, especially pecans and/or walnuts.
- Store muffins in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Category: muffins
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 258
- Sugar: 16.2g
- Sodium: 174mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
Keywords: breakfast muffins, healthy muffins, healthy breakfast