The best healthy orange almond muffins with orange glaze. A delicious combination of orange zest, orange juice, almond extract and sliced almonds for the main muffin. Topped with a layer of sliced almonds which become perfectly toasty in the oven. Then, once baked, drizzled with a sweet orange glaze. You’ll want to eat this right out of the oven, but they also taste amazing straight out of the fridge the next day.
So many of the muffin recipes I’ve been making lately are loaded with chocolate chips (which is always great) such as these banana ricotta muffins or these banana and white chocolate muffins. But these ones don’t need any kind of chocolate and I’ve started to make them all the time instead.
My favorite part about these muffins is the toasty top layer of thinly sliced almonds. Eat them fresh out of the oven while they are still warm to get the best crispy, toasty almond flavor. Plus the orange glaze drizzle on top adds a whole other level of decadence.
I won’t lie— these muffins take a couple more steps to assemble compared to my other muffin recipes. But I guarantee it is worth the extra 5-10 minutes. If you are looking for muffins to serve guests, these ones are a great option because they look so presentable.
How to assemble orange and almond muffins:
Start by mixing the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest together in a large mixing bowl. Don’t skip the orange zest! It adds a lot of the natural orange flavor.
Zest only the very outside colored layer of the orange. If you go too far to the white layer, it will taste bitter.
Next, mix the wet ingredients together: melted butter, eggs, orange juice, almond extract and yogurt. Use fresh orange juice if you have it, but since you are baking and not drinking it, artificial orange juice would work just fine.
Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour evenly into the prepared muffin tins. Top each muffin with the extra sliced almonds in a thin layer — I like to try to cover the whole top of the muffin.
Bake until perfectly cooked through. Meanwhile prepare the glaze by mixing the icing sugar and fresh orange juice. Once the muffins are done cooking and slightly cooled (~15 minutes), drizzle the glaze over the muffins. Serve fresh. Enjoy!
Other muffin recipes to try:Print
The best healthy orange almond muffins, topped with a layer of toasted sliced almonds and then drizzled with sweet orange glaze.
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ½ cup yogurt
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup sliced almonds
For the icing:
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 12 muffin tin with butter, or line with muffin liners.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest together in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter. Once slightly cooled, whisk the eggs into the melted butter. Mix in the orange juice, almond extract, yogurt and milk.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing only until just combined.
- Gently fold in about ¾ of the sliced almonds into the batter, saving the last ¼ for the top.
- Pour the batter evenly into a 12 prepared muffin tins. Top each muffin with the remaining sliced almonds, pressing lightly into the top of the muffin batter.
- Bake the muffins for about 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Prepare the glaze while the muffins are baking. Mix the orange zest, orange juice, milk and icing sugar together until combined.
- Once you remove the muffins from the oven, let them cool slightly for about 15-20 minutes. Then drizzle the orange glaze over the muffins.
- Serve fresh.
- Store the leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.
- You can use artificial orange juice for the muffin batter without affected the taste too much, but use fresh orange juice for the icing.
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 19.7g
- Sodium: 157mg
- Fat: 10.6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
Keywords: Orange almond muffins, orange muffins, almond muffins, breakfast muffins, healthy muffins