This decadent chocolate pear crumble pie is full of ooey gooey dark chocolatey-pear and walnut deliciousness. Cinnamon sugar pear pie filling drenched with a rich dark chocolate ganache. Then layered with a walnut brown sugar crumble topping that gets crispy in the oven.
I LOVE this pie. I love the dark chocolate ganache that comes out all melted fresh out of the oven. And dark chocolate + pear is SO good. Plus the crunchy walnuts on top just completes this pie perfectly.
If you love to make pies in wintertime, you need to add this one to your list. It is a bit high in sugar and calories (as all the best desserts are), but that’s allowed around the holidays!
Pear Chocolate Pie Ingredients:
- Pears — any type of pear you have will work. Use a combination of different types of pears for an overall better flavor.
- Dark Chocolate Chips — I LOVE dark chocolate for this pie and really recommend not using any other type of chocolate. If you can’t find dark chocolate chips, you could use Baker’s dark chocolate instead.
- Heavy Cream— to make the dark chocolate ganache.
- Walnuts — Walnuts are the perfect nut to go in this topping. They are not too sweet but add a delicious crunch.
- Lemon juice — To help bring out the pear flavor and keep them fresh while mixing the filling.
- Granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter — the regular baking things.
How to make the pie:
This pear chocolate crumble pie has three layers: 1) the pear filling, 2) the dark chocolate ganache and 3) the brown sugar walnut topping. While there are a lot of steps, they are relatively easy and you can prep this pie within 30 minutes.
To start with, you need pie dough — fresh or frozen. Make sure the dough has been chilled for at least 2 hours before using it. If it was frozen, thaw it in the refrigerator the night before. Roll out the dough to fit your 9 inch pie dish. Gently place the dough into the pie dish. Do not stretch the dough to fit the dish! This will lead to the sides shrinking down during baking. Put the whole pie dish in the fridge for at least 30 minutes while you prepare the rest of the pie.
Preheat the oven to 400F in the meantime. Start with the pear filling. Peel and slice the pears about ¼” thick. Mix them together with the lemon juice, granulated sugar, cinnamon and flour. Set aside.
For the dark chocolate ganache, begin by heating the cream on a saucepan. Bring it to a boil, but as soon as it reaches a boil, remove it from the heat and pour it over the dark chocolate chips. Stir immediately until they are fully melted into an even, chocolatey ganache. Let the ganache cool slightly before mixing it into the pie.
Lastly, for the crumble topping, in a separate bowl, mix the walnuts, brown sugar, flour and butter together.
Remove the pie from the fridge. Add each layer at a time, making sure it is spread evenly. First, add the pear filling layer on the bottom of the pie. Next, pour the dark chocolate ganache over the pear layer, filling in all the little gaps. Then, sprinkle the walnut crumble layer on top.
Bake for 30 minutes, then decrease the temperature to 350F and continue to bake for another 30 minutes. Remove when the crust is golden brown and the pears are soft and cooked through. Let the pie cool slightly and serve fresh with ice cream.Print