This healthy broccoli and sweet potato soup is perfect to warm up with on a cold day. Made with sweet potatoes, broccoli and onion simmered in vegetable broth. Blended until smooth. A bit of cream mixed in and a dash of red pepper flakes for a tiny bit of spice. This is a very easy meal to whip together quickly as a light lunch or to accompany a main course.
Possibly my favorite thing about this broccoli and sweet potato soup recipe is how easy it is to make. Soup recipes should be fast to make so you can make your main meal at the same time. The prep is quick for this soup recipe, and the rest of the time is just simmering the flavors together. So while you wait for the soup to be done, can cook your main dish or relax.
- Sweet Potatoes — Peel these and cut them into chunks that will be easy to blend, about 1 inch pieces.
- Broccoli - Cut them into 1-2 inch sized florets.
- Onion — Use a white or yellow onion.
- Vegetable Broth — If you want to substitute this for chicken broth, it works just as well.
- Cream — This is to add a bit of extra creamy deliciousness. However you can replace this with milk instead (use ¾ cup). Or, remove it altogether if you are looking to make the soup even healthier or want a dairy-free option.
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional) — Add as many or as few as you like depending on how much you like a little spice.
How to make this soup in an instant pot:
You can easily make this broccoli sweet potato soup in the instant pot! This option takes just as long as the stovetop version but is great if you don’t want to have to watch the pot on the stove while it simmers.
On sauté mode (low heat), cook the onions in the olive oil with a dash of salt until they are soft and translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
Then, add in the sweet potato chunks, broccoli florets and vegetable broth. Put the lid on the instant pot and select soup mode. The instant pot will beep once it is finished cooking. Blend the soup and mix in the cream, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste.Print
This heathy broccoli and sweet potato soup is perfect to warm up with on a cold day. Plus, it’s quick to whip together as a light lunch or to accompany a main course.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into approximately ½ inch chunks
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- ½ onion, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup cream
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions with a dash of salt and cook until soft and translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, broccoli and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low, maintaining a gentle simmer. Cover and continue to gently simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft and easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the soup from heat. Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- Mix in the cream and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Vegan Option: Remove the cream altogether (this soup still tastes amazing). Alternatively, substitute the cream with ¾ cup coconut milk.
- Instant Pot Version: See blog post for full instructions.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop, Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 7.6g
- Sodium: 728mg
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated Fat: 5.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
Keywords: Winter soups, winter, fall, autumn, easy, simple