This healthy broccoli and sweet potato soup is perfect to warm up with on a cold day. Made with sweet potatoes, broccoli and onion simmered in vegetable broth. Blended until smooth. A bit of cream mixed in and a dash of red pepper flakes for a tiny bit of spice. This is a very easy meal to whip together quickly as a light lunch or to accompany a main course.
Possibly my favorite thing about this broccoli and sweet potato soup recipe is how easy it is to make. Soup recipes should be fast to make so you can make your main meal at the same time. The prep is quick for this soup recipe, and the rest of the time is just simmering the flavors together. So while you wait for the soup to be done, can cook your main dish or relax.
- Sweet Potatoes — Peel these and cut them into chunks that will be easy to blend, about 1 inch pieces.
- Broccoli - Cut them into 1-2 inch sized florets.
- Onion — Use a white or yellow onion.
- Vegetable Broth — If you want to substitute this for chicken broth, it works just as well.
- Cream — This is to add a bit of extra creamy deliciousness. However you can replace this with milk instead (use ¾ cup). Or, remove it altogether if you are looking to make the soup even healthier or want a dairy-free option.
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional) — Add as many or as few as you like depending on how much you like a little spice.
How to make this soup in an instant pot:
You can easily make this broccoli sweet potato soup in the instant pot! This option takes just as long as the stovetop version but is great if you don’t want to have to watch the pot on the stove while it simmers.
On sauté mode (low heat), cook the onions in the olive oil with a dash of salt until they are soft and translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
Then, add in the sweet potato chunks, broccoli florets and vegetable broth. Put the lid on the instant pot and select soup mode. The instant pot will beep once it is finished cooking. Blend the soup and mix in the cream, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste.Print