This kale, mushroom, feta and onion quiche recipe is the BEST. Juicy mushrooms, onions and crispy kale with both mozzarella and feta cheeses makes this quiche so tasty. It is so filling and a great healthy breakfast idea for the whole family.
I love breakfast quiches. They are so easy to make in advance and save time on busy mornings. And when there is time, eating them fresh out of the oven is amazing.
This mushroom kale quiche is especially good fresh out of the oven. The kale on the top gets a little bit crispy which makes it that much better. Even my husband (who is not really a quiche person) says he loves this quiche.
Kale Mushroom Quiche Ingredients:
- Pie dough — I prefer to use homemade pie dough if I have the time to prepare it. The crispy, buttery crust makes all the difference. But if you are in a rush, a prepared pie crust will work.
- Mushrooms — Choose your favorite type of mushroom - I like large Cremini mushrooms best. Slice them fairly thick for extra juiciness.
- Kale — Wash and roughly chop the kale into small to moderately sized pieces. You could substitute spinach here if needed (or add some in as extra).
- Onion — White or yellow onion works best for this quiche.
- Feta — Feta goes perfectly with the mushrooms and kale, don’t skip this ingredient!
- Mozzarella — for a little extra cheesiness..
- Chives, Parsley, and Thyme — some herbs for a savory flavor. If you have fresh herbs, use those instead!
How to make this feta mushroom quiche:
If you are using a homemade pie crust for your quiche, prepare it according to the instructions. Homemade crusts always taste so much better but sometimes when in a rush, frozen premade pie crusts are the easiest option.
First blind bake the crust. Roll out your pie dough to fit your 9 inch pie dish. Gently lay the dough in the pie dish and shape your pie edges. Then let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375F. Prick the bottom of the pie and line with parchment paper filled with pie weights. Blind bake for about 15 minutes until the edges are slightly brown. Remove from the oven.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs together. Mix in the herbs, diced onion, milk, cream, feta and mozzarella. Slice the mushrooms in thick slices (about ¼”) and mix in with the rest of the ingredients. Roughly rip the kale into smaller pieces and add to the mixture. If the kale pieces are too large, the quiche mix won’t spread as evenly in the pie crust.
Pour the filling evenly into your blind baked pie crust. It is ok if the pie crust is still warm when you add the filling. Depending on the size and depth of your pie dish, you may have enough filling for two pie dishes here (especially if using premade frozen crusts as I find that these tend to be a bit smaller).
Bake the quiche at 375F for about 1h 15 minutes, until the center is just set. Check on the quiche every 5-10 minutes in the last 20 or so minutes as the cooking time may vary from oven to oven.
Serve fresh, this quiche tastes incredible right out of the oven. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.Print