This kale, mushroom, feta and onion quiche recipe is the BEST. Juicy mushrooms, onions and crispy kale with both mozzarella and feta cheeses makes this quiche so tasty. It is so filling and a great healthy breakfast idea for the whole family.
I love breakfast quiches. They are so easy to make in advance and save time on busy mornings. And when there is time, eating them fresh out of the oven is amazing.
This mushroom kale quiche is especially good fresh out of the oven. The kale on the top gets a little bit crispy which makes it that much better. Even my husband (who is not really a quiche person) says he loves this quiche.
Kale Mushroom Quiche Ingredients:
- Pie dough — I prefer to use homemade pie dough if I have the time to prepare it. The crispy, buttery crust makes all the difference. But if you are in a rush, a prepared pie crust will work.
- Mushrooms — Choose your favorite type of mushroom - I like large Cremini mushrooms best. Slice them fairly thick for extra juiciness.
- Kale — Wash and roughly chop the kale into small to moderately sized pieces. You could substitute spinach here if needed (or add some in as extra).
- Onion — White or yellow onion works best for this quiche.
- Feta — Feta goes perfectly with the mushrooms and kale, don’t skip this ingredient!
- Mozzarella — for a little extra cheesiness..
- Chives, Parsley, and Thyme — some herbs for a savory flavor. If you have fresh herbs, use those instead!
How to make this feta mushroom quiche:
If you are using a homemade pie crust for your quiche, prepare it according to the instructions. Homemade crusts always taste so much better but sometimes when in a rush, frozen premade pie crusts are the easiest option.
First blind bake the crust. Roll out your pie dough to fit your 9 inch pie dish. Gently lay the dough in the pie dish and shape your pie edges. Then let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375F. Prick the bottom of the pie and line with parchment paper filled with pie weights. Blind bake for about 15 minutes until the edges are slightly brown. Remove from the oven.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs together. Mix in the herbs, diced onion, milk, cream, feta and mozzarella. Slice the mushrooms in thick slices (about ¼”) and mix in with the rest of the ingredients. Roughly rip the kale into smaller pieces and add to the mixture. If the kale pieces are too large, the quiche mix won’t spread as evenly in the pie crust.
Pour the filling evenly into your blind baked pie crust. It is ok if the pie crust is still warm when you add the filling. Depending on the size and depth of your pie dish, you may have enough filling for two pie dishes here (especially if using premade frozen crusts as I find that these tend to be a bit smaller).
Bake the quiche at 375F for about 1h 15 minutes, until the center is just set. Check on the quiche every 5-10 minutes in the last 20 or so minutes as the cooking time may vary from oven to oven.
Serve fresh, this quiche tastes incredible right out of the oven. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.Print
Best Kale, Mushroom, Feta & Onion Quiche
- Total Time: 2hr
- Yield: 8 pieces/ portions 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
The best kale, mushroom, feta and onion quiche recipe. Easy to make and packed with nutrients. A filling, simple breakfast for the whole family.
- Pie dough for a 9” pie dish or a pre-made, frozen pie crust*
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup cream
- ½ tbsp chives
- ½ tbsp parsley
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup onion, diced
- ⅓ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- ⅔ cup mozzarella, grated
- ⅓ cup feta, crumbled
- If using homemade pie dough, prepare it according to the instructions. Roll out the dough and place it in a 9 inch pie dish. Shape the edges. Put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before continuing. If using a frozen pie crust, skip to step 4.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Remove the crust from the fridge. Prick the bottom and sides with a fork. Line the unbaked pie dough with parchment paper and fill the pie with pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes until the edges are slightly brown. Remove from the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk and cream and beat them together with a fork until they are combined.
- Add the chives, parsley, thyme, pepper, salt, onions, mushrooms, kale, mozzarella and feta.
- Remove the pie weights and pour the filling into your pie crust (it’s ok that the blind baked pie crust is still warm when adding the filling).
- Place the pie dish on a baking pan and bake for about 1h 15 min. Bake until the center is solid and crust edges are golden brown. Check the pie every 5 minutes or so in the last 20 minutes of baking time as there will be some variation between ovens.
- *Generally pre-made frozen pie crusts are a bit smaller than using a homemade pie crust/ dish. You may be able to make two quiches with the filling from this recipe — if that is the case, decrease the baking time to about 45-50 minutes.
- If using pre-made frozen pie crusts, you don’t need to blind bake the crust, just pour the filling in and bake.
- This recipe uses dried herbs because that what I often have on hand (especially in winter). However, it will taste even better with fresh herbs — for fresh herbs, add a bit more than this recipe calls for, to your liking.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 1h 15 minutes
- Category: Quiches, breakfasts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 portion
- Calories: 540
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 751mg
- Fat: 39.6g
- Saturated Fat: 23.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.2g
- Trans Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 36.7g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 13.4g
- Cholesterol: 195mg
Keywords: quiche, mushrooms, kale, onion, feta
Leave a Reply