Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
These air fryer frozen onion rings make a quick and easy side dish or appetizer that is ready in under 10 minutes. Crispy and golden onion rings that taste like they were deep fried without the calories.
These onion rings make a great side dish or appetizer. For other appetizers, try these goat cheese croquettes.
- They are crispier than in the oven. Making onion rings in the air fryer gives the onion rings a crispiness that you won’t get from baking them in the oven.
- An air fryer is healthier than deep frying. An air fryer mimics the taste of fried onion rings without using any extra oil.
- Easy, simple & ready in less than 10 minutes. These are one of the simplest side dishes to make and almost all the cooking time is hands off.
- Inexpensive & Affordable. You can buy a bag of frozen onion rings at a relatively low price. Making onion rings at home is a lot cheaper than buying them out at a restaurant.
- They’re versatile. There are many ways to enjoy onion rings and a variety of tasty dip recipes to try with them.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Frozen Onion Rings: You can use any brand of frozen onion rings. If you have a favorite, use that brand, or use whichever is available at your grocery store. Here are some brands of frozen onion rings that would work for this recipe:
- Alexia Onion Rings
- Nathan’s Onion Rings
- Trader Joe’s Sweet Onion Rings
- Red Robin Crispy Onion Rings
- Brew City Onion Rings
- Ore-Ida Gourmet Onion Rings
- McCain Golden Crisp Rings
- An air fryer that allows you to set the temperature.
- Tongs to flip and remove the air fried onion rings.
Step 1: Preheat the air fryer to 350F and set the timer to 5 minutes.
Step 2: Once the air fryer has preheated, add the onion rings to the basket. Air fry for 5 minutes, flipping the rings or shaking the air fryer basket halfway through.
Onion rings go exceptionally well with a variety of dipping sauces. Make your favorite sauce or make a handful for a variety of flavors. Here are some ideas of sauces to try:
What To Serve With Onion Rings
There are a number of ways to serve onion rings. They make a great appetizer all on their own. They can also be an easy side for many main course meals. Here are some foods that pair well with onion rings:
- Hamburgers & Hotdogs
- Chicken Wings
- Vegetable Wrap
- Sandwiches & Paninis
Don’t make these air fryer frozen onion rings ahead of time. They taste best when fresh out of the air fryer.
However, if you do have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat onion rings that you have stored in the fridge, preheat the air fryer to 320F and set the timer for 3 minutes. If you find the onion rings to be dry, spray them lightly with an oil mister to bring back the crispiness.
- Don’t crowd the basket. It is ok if the onion rings overlap in the air fryer basket, but don’t fill the basket more than halfway full.
- Use the preheat setting. Using the preheat option on an air fryer allows the onion rings to cook more evenly.
- Use an oil mister. Some brands of frozen onion rings are dryer than others. If this is the case, use an oil mister to lightly spray the onion rings with olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Don’t use Pam or other aerosol sprays. Aerosol sprays can cause chipping in your air fryer. Use a mister such as this evo aerosol mister instead.
- Don’t thaw the onion rings before adding them to the air fryer. Thawing the onion rings will make them soggier and less crispy. Toss them straight from the freezer into the preheated air fryer.
- Adjust the cooking time based on the size of the onion rings. For extra large or thick onion rings, you may need to add a couple minutes. For thinner onion rings, check them a couple minutes before the cooking time is finished to make sure they don’t burn.
Some brands don’t add as much oil in the coating, which can lead to the onion rings turning out a bit drier. If this is the case, lightly spray the onion rings with olive oil or vegetable oil using an oil mister. Don’t use aerosol spray cans as these can damage your air fryer.
If your air fryer doesn’t have a preheat option you can still make frozen onion rings. Add 3 - 5 minutes of cooking time and check the onion rings frequently until they are done cooking.
Every brand of air fryer will vary slightly even if they are set to the same settings. When making these onion rings for the first time, check the onion rings in the last few minutes several times to make sure they don’t burn.