These chocolate orange slices are a tasty, easy to make dessert. Candied orange slices dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt or chopped nuts.
- 2-3 medium oranges
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 ½ oz dark chocolate
- ½ tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped nuts (optional)
- Wash the oranges well, thoroughly scrubbing the peel. Slice the oranges into ¼ inch slices.
- In a wide bottomed pot, heat the water and sugar together over medium heat. Continue to heat until the sugar fully dissolves.
- Add in the orange slices, placing them in a single layer, so they are not overlapping.
- Adjust the heat to maintain a very gentle simmer. Continue to simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until the orange slices are translucent.
- Remove the orange slices from the stove and transfer to a wire rack or to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Let dry for at least 2 hours.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate, heating in the microwave 20 seconds at a time. Once melted and smooth, stir in the avocado oil.
- Dip each candied orange slice into the chocolate so that it is half covered in chocolate. Lay them flat on a tray lined with parchment paper. Optionally sprinkle them with finely chopped nuts. Let them set for 1 hour before consuming or storing.
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days or in the fridge for 5 to 10 days.
- Prep Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 36
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 1mg
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 5.1g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: holiday desserts, Christmas desserts