This blueberry simple syrup is perfect for adding flavoring to any kind of drink such as cocktails, lemonade or tea. See the notes for how to alter this recipe to make a blueberry syrup perfect for pancakes.
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the blueberries, sugar and water to a simmer. Stir occasionally to prevent the mixture from burning.
- As the blueberries begin to break down with the heat, gently mash any blueberries that haven’t exploded to release the juices.
- Continue to simmer the syrup for 10 minutes until it thickens up. The syrup will thicken even more as it cools down.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and pass the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove the blueberry chunks.
- Let the syrup cool to room temperature before using in cocktails or drinks. Store any leftovers in an airtight jar in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
- How to make blueberry syrup: Blueberry simple syrup and blueberry syrup are not the same thing. This recipe is for blueberry simple syrup which contains much more sugar and is intended to be used in drinks. To make a regular blueberry syrup for pouring on pancakes or waffles, decrease the amount of sugar from 1/2 cup to ¼ cup and follow the rest of the instructions as is.
- Straining the blueberry chunks is optional. If you prefer a chunkier syrup, skip this step. The quantity of syrup yielded for this recipe will be slightly higher than stated.
- Save the blueberry chunks. Save the strained blueberry chunks and mix them into plain yogurt for a tasty breakfast.
- Thaw frozen blueberries. If using frozen blueberries rather than fresh ones, thaw the blueberries first and drain out most of the extra liquid to prevent diluting the syrup.
- Storing the syrup: Store the syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for a few weeks or freeze for 2-3 months in an ice cube tray.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Syrup
- Method: Cooked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 39
- Sugar: 9.6g
- Sodium: 0mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: simple syrup, syrup, blueberries, syrup for drinks