This creamy, rich taro milk tea made with a jasmine tea base, milk and black tapioca boba tastes just like your favorite bubble tea recipe!
- 3 1/2 tbsp or 1 pack (25g) taro powder
- 1 jasmine green tea bag
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/8 cup quick cooking black tapioca pearls
- For Serving:
- 1/2 cup milk
- handful of ice (optional)
First, prepare the taro tea: Add the jasmine tea bag to the boiling water. Let the tea steep for 15 minutes. Remove the tea bag and add the taro powder. Stir until completely dissolved. Once at room temperature, put the tea in the fridge and chill for at least 2 hours until cold.
Meanwhile, make the simple syrup: On a small saucepan, heat the sugar and water over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the syrup from the heat and set aside.
Next, prepare the boba: Bring a small pot of water to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add the tapioca pearls. After about 20 seconds, they should float to the top. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Then, remove the pot from the heat, strain the boba and run them under cold water for a minute. Add the boba to the simple syrup mixture and set aside until ready to drink the tea.
Lastly, serve the taro milk tea: Stir the milk into the cooled taro jasmine tea. Add in the boba. If you prefer your milk tea extra cold, add a handful of ice.
- Make the boba fresh. Boba only are only good for a few hours once cooked, so make them right before you want to drink your bubble tea.
- Use bubble tea straws. Boba won’t fit through regular sized straws. You need special boba straws that are large enough to suck up boba.
- Vegan option: Use almond or oat milk instead of regular milk. Also, make sure the taro powder you are using contains only vegan ingredients. You will need to adjust the almond/oat milk and sugar proportions. See the blog post for more details.
- Category: Bubble tea, boba tea, milk tea, drinks
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: Taiwanese
- Serving Size: 1 bubble tea
- Calories: 254
- Sugar: 9.7g
- Sodium: 94mg
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 57.7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
Keywords: taro, milk tea, boba, bubble tea