This mini strawberry cake is a simple but elegant dessert that is perfect for 1 or 2 people. A white cake base with strawberry purée mixed in. Topped with a strawberry frosting and fresh strawberry slices.
- White Strawberry Cake Base:
- Strawberry Frosting:
- ½ cup (62g) icing sugar
- ½ tbsp puréed strawberries
- ⅛ cup (28g) butter
- Preheat the oven to 365F. Line the 4-inch round cake tin with parchment paper. Lightly butter the sides of the pan. Dust the sides lightly with flour, and tap out the excess flour.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat the butter, sugar and canola oil together until combined. Then mix in the vanilla extract and almond extract.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Purée the strawberries in a blender or food processor. Remove ½ tbsp of the purée and set it aside for making the strawberry frosting. Set aside for now.
- Use a mini handheld electric whisk to whisk the egg whites for 2 to 3 minutes until stiff peaks form. Set aside for now.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, alternating with adding the milk. Mix only until just combined.
- Gently fold in the pureed strawberry. Next, fold in the whipped egg whites.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking tin.
- Bake the cake for 33 to 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.
- In a small bowl, beat the icing sugar, ½ tbsp of puréed strawberries and butter together until well combined. Cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Once the cake base has cooled to room temperature, chill it in the freezer for 30 minutes or in the fridge for an hour before icing.
- Once chilled, use a serrated knife to level the cake. Next, frost the cake and add strawberry slices for decoration (optional).
- Frozen strawberries: If you are using frozen strawberries, let them thaw and come to room temperature before mixing them in the batter. Frozen strawberries won’t work well for decorating the cake.
- Let the ingredients come to room temperature. Before mixing the ingredients together, let the butter, milk and eggs come to room temperature. This helps prevent curdling.
- Chill the frosting and cake base in the fridge before frosting. Working with a chilled frosting and chilled cake layer is much easier when frosting a cake.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Wait Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 of cake
- Calories: 654
- Sugar: 62.7g
- Sodium: 339mg
- Fat: 27.9g
- Saturated Fat: 13.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13g
- Trans Fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 96.2g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
Keywords: 2 person dessert, individual dessert, summer desserts