This tasty mango chocolate cake is a simple and easy cake recipe that tastes absolutely delicious. Light enough for a breakfast cake or a not-too-heavy dessert.
- 3/4 cup + 1/8 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- Mango Buttercream:
- 1 mango
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- Grease or line two round 9 inch springform pans with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 365F.
- Start by making the cake batter. Beat the butter for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add the granulated sugar and cream until light and fluffy, approximately another 2-3 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds to prevent burning. Let them cool for a couple minutes, then slowly beat them into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Alternate between adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two springform pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the mango buttercream. Peel the mango and cut it into rough chunks. Blend the mango chunks in a blender or pulse in a food processor until smooth. If needed, add a spoonful of water to help blend.
- Heat the mango purée on a saucepan over medium to high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture from burning. Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer until the volume is reduced by about half. This should take about 5-10 minutes. Let the reduced mango purée cool down to room temperature.
- Beat together the butter and icing sugar for the buttercream until you have a smooth, icing consistency. This should take a couple of minutes. Then, slowly beat in the mango purée until combined. Put the buttercream in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to frost the cake. It will be easier to frost the cake with cooled icing.
- Once the cakes have cooled, remove them from the springform pans. Spread the chilled buttercream on top of the base layer, and then stack the second layer on top. Finish frosting the rest of the cake.
- Layer fresh mango slices on top and serve.
- This cake is so much better with mango slices on top. However, it is best when they are fresh. Try to put the sliced mangoes on right before you have a piece. Or, serve the cake with a side of mangoes.
- Store the leftover cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 415
- Sugar: 38.7g
- Sodium: 273mg
- Fat: 81.3g
- Saturated Fat: 13.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrates: 52.1g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
Keywords: Fruit, easy, simple