The BEST Billy Miner Pie recipe — a copycat version of The Keg’s famous dessert.
- Oreo crumb crust:
- 27 Oreo cookies
- 9 1/2 tbsp butter
- Chocolate Sauce:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/8 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Caramel Sauce:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/8 cup cream
- Pie Base:
- 2L (or 1/2 gallon) mocha or cappuccino ice cream
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds
- Remove the filling from the Oreo cookies, keeping just the Oreo cookie part. Using a food processor or hand masher, crush the Oreo cookies into small crumbs.
- Melt the butter and add it to the cookie crumbs. Mix until evenly distributed. Press this mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to make sure the crust is pressed down flat and smooth.
- Put the springform pan with the Oreo crust base in the freezer for 30 minutes. At the same time, remove the mocha ice cream from the freezer to let it thaw for a bit.
- In the meantime, make the sauces. For the chocolate sauce: Heat the sugar, cream, butter and chocolate chips on a saucepan over medium heat until melted into an even chocolate sauce consistency. Stir constantly while heating to prevent burning the mixture or curdling the cream. Remove the sauce from the heat and let it cool before storing it in the fridge in an airtight container.
- For the caramel sauce: Heat the granulated sugar on a saucepan over medium-high heat until it melts into a brown, gooey liquid. Add the butter and mix until combined. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the cream immediately. Mix until the sauce is a uniform, creamy caramel sauce. Let the sauce cool to room temperature before storing in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Remove the Oreo crust from the freezer. Add the ice cream on top of the Oreo crust, spreading smoothly into an even layer. The ice cream should be soft and pliable — you should be able to gently stir it but it should not be liquidy.
- Top with an even layer of sliced almonds.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put the entire pie in the freezer for at least 6 hours until it is frozen solid.
- To serve, remove from the freezer, separate the springform pan and cut into pieces (the frozen Oreo crust takes some force to cut through). Before eating, warm up the sauces in the microwave for a few seconds and drizzle them over the pie.
- I find it easiest to cut any leftovers into pie pieces and transfer them to an airtight container before storing in the freezer. Don’t leave this pie out too long or it will start to melt.
- The quality of the ice cream is so important. Either mocha or cappuccino ice cream will work but make sure it tastes good before making this pie.
- If you want to really simplify this recipe, you can use store bought chocolate and caramel sauces.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Pie
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 665
- Sugar: 42.9g
- Sodium: 323mg
- Fat: 42.7g
- Saturated Fat: 27g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 73.3g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Cholesterol: 131mg
Keywords: billy miner pie, billy miner pie recipe