These grapefruit popsicles are a refreshingly tasty, slightly tangy, frozen dessert. They are made with grapefruit simple syrup, fresh grapefruit juice and yogurt.
If you love grapefruits, you will love these popsicles. They taste very purely of real grapefruit and are a light and mostly healthy dessert. If you love the tanginess of natural grapefruit, you can make these popsicles incredibly healthy by cutting down or entirely skipping the simple syrup. If you are ok with a little extra sugar, then keep it in for a bit more sweetness.
What is grapefruit simple syrup?
Simple syrup is used in a variety of cocktail drinks, but can also be used for other recipes- such as in these popsicles. It is made by heating water and granulated sugar on a pan for 10-15 minutes until the sugar dissolves.
Specifically this recipe uses grapefruit simple syrup which is simple syrup with a naturally infused grapefruit flavor.
How to make grapefruit simple syrup:
To make the syrup, heat one cup of granulated sugar, one cup of water and the peel of one grapefruit on a pan over medium heat. Once you reach a boil, reduce the heat and continue to simmer on low until the sugar is dissolved, for about 10-15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the syrup come to room temperature before using. Store any extra syrup in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to a week.
Ingredients for Grapefruit Popsicles:
- Grapefruit Simple Syrup. As mentioned above, if you enjoy a tangier grapefruit flavor and are looking to cut out sugar, then you can decrease the amount of simple syrup you add or remove it entirely. As a substitution for simple syrup, you could add a couple tablespoons of honey.
- Plain yogurt. Any type of plain or vanilla flavored yogurt will work. You could also use Greek yogurt.
- Grapefruit juice. Use freshly squeezed grapefruit juice if possible. It will taste better than concentrate.
- Grapefruit pulp (optional). If you want a little bit of pulp texture in your popsicles you can blend a bit of pulp with the grapefruit juice before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients.
These grapefruit popsicles are a refreshingly tangy frozen dessert, They are made with just three ingredients: grapefruit simple syrup, fresh grapefruit juice and yogurt.
- ⅔ cup grapefruit simple syrup (instructions in blog post)
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- ½ cup grapefruit pulp (optional)
- If using grapefruit pulp, blend/ pulse the pulp and grapefruit juice together a couple times for thicker pulp. For fine pulp, blend for longer.
- Mix the grapefruit simple syrup, yogurt, and freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (and pulp if using) until smooth.
- Divide the mixture into 6 popsicle moulds evenly and insert popsicle sticks. Freeze until solid.
- If you want to make these grapefruit popsicles healthier, cut down the amount of grapefruit simple syrup or remove it entirely. Note that the popsicles will taste more tart/tangy.
- If you have difficulty removing the popsicles from the mould when you remove them from the freezer, try running the mould under hot water for about 10 - 20 seconds.
- Category: frozen, popsicles
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 popsicle
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 28g
- Sodium: 17mg
- Fat: 0.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 2.4mg
Keywords: grapefruit popsicles, fruit popsicles, healthy popsicles