This refreshing and healthy vegan papaya kale smoothie is pure nutrition and the perfect way to start off your morning. Made with only four ingredients: papaya, kale, orange juice and maple syrup.
I love papayas but I find I most enjoy having them in smoothies or drinks. Sometimes they can be a bit too bitter to eat a lot of them alone. But in smoothies, you can add a little bit of sweetener to counter the bitter taste and let the yummy papaya flavor shine through.
Not only is this papaya kale smoothie full of nutrition (packed with kale), it is also vegan! I don’t always make vegan smoothies because I do love milk and yogurt as creamy additions, but this smoothie is perfect dairy-free.
When is papaya season?
Papayas have a peak season in early summer and fall, but they can be found all year round.
In winter it can be hard to find fresh fruit that actually tastes good, which is why papayas are a great option. I often find they are much better quality than some of the other fresh fruit available.
However, obviously during peak season they will be the freshest and juiciest, which is why this is a year-round recipe.
Papaya Kale Smoothie Ingredients:
- Papaya — One papaya is more than enough for this recipe. You could use frozen papaya too (although I’ve never come across this in the supermarket).
- Kale — this green goes so well with papaya. However you can substitute it for spinach or use a combination of both spinach and kale.
- Orange juice — adds a little sweetness and flavor for the mixing base. If you are looking to cut down on sugar even more, use water instead of orange juice.
- Maple syrup — for a little flavor. Maple and papaya go well together.
Other smoothie recipes to try:Print
This refreshing and healthy vegan papaya kale smoothie is pure nutrition and the perfect way to start off your morning.
- 1 ¼ cup papaya chunks
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 cup kale
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Add the papaya chunks, orange juice, kale and maple syrup to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- If you are looking to make this smoothie even healthier and decrease the sugar, you can substitute the orange juice for water.
- My preference is kale for this smoothie but you can substitute the kale with spinach if that is what you have.
- Category: Smoothies
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 41.5g
- Sodium: 48.6mg
- Fat: 1.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 57.7g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Vegan smoothies, papaya smoothies, kale smoothies, healthy smoothies