This fruity & healthy kiwi grapefruit smoothie is the perfect energizing breakfast drink. Made with kiwis, grapefruit, banana, orange juice and honey.
Who else loves kiwis? Sometimes I feel like they’re a bit of a neglected fruit. They are the best fruit snack on their own and kids love them too. But in smoothies they add such great flavor!
Grapefruits are popular breakfast fruits to jump start your metabolism, but I’ve always preferred drinking grapefruit juice rather than eating the grapefruit slices. Or even better, having it blended in a smoothie.
Both kiwis and grapefruits have a slight tart sourness but with the added orange juice and honey to blend everything with, this is completely balanced out.
How to pick a grapefruit:
Choose the best grapefruit to get the best flavor for your smoothie. There are several types of grapefruits so they may vary in color at the store. Choose a grapefruit that has smooth skin and a uniform color. Deeper red grapefruits will have a richer flavor (if you love a strong grapefruit taste). The grapefruit should be firm to the touch and feel heavy for its size.
Ingredients for kiwi grapefruit smoothie:
- Kiwis — use about three kiwis. If you really like kiwis you can add an extra one in for even more kiwi flavor.
- Grapefruit — I like to blend the actual grapefruit slices to add in extra fiber. However, you could also use grapefruit juice instead and decrease the amount of orange juice.
- Banana — to add some thickness to the smoothie
- Orange juice — for some liquid to blend everything together.
- Honey — to add a bit of sweetness to the grapefruit & kiwi flavors. If you want to make this smoothie vegan, either leave out the honey or substitute it with maple syrup.