These hearty black sesame muffins make a filling and nutritious breakfast. Made with black sesame seeds, bananas and brown sugar. Then topped with pumpkin seeds, a little dash of turbinado sugar and baked into delicious golden brown muffins.
These muffins are healthy and have the sort of “healthy” but tasty taste. They are not overly sugary but the dash of turbinado sugar and pumpkin seed topping add a crispy and delicious crunch.
These muffins fall into the same category as these Banana Date Oat Muffins, banana carrot muffins or these banana almond flour muffins. They’re perfect for a healthy breakfast, paired with yogurt, fruit or a healthy smoothie like this tahini smoothie.
- Black Sesame Seeds — You can find these somewhere in the spice section at the grocery store. For the best price though, check Amazon first. I found a much better price compared to my local grocery store.
- Tahini — You only need a couple tablespoons. Tahini is often used in hummus and other dips. The tahini flavor pairs very well with the black sesame seeds.
- Bananas — These tie the recipe together, adding both flavor and moisture. Use extra ripe or black bananas for the best results.
- Cloves & Cardamom —spices for some extra flavor
- Pumpkin Seeds — These are a great topping, adding a little crunch and pumpkin flavor without being overpowering.
- Turbinado Sugar — In general, turbinado sugar is great for lightly sprinkling on top of all your muffin recipes, and these muffins are no exception!
- Brown sugar — Brown sugar gives these muffins the golden glow. You could substitute this for white sugar if needed but if you have the option, go with brown sugar.
- Regular muffin ingredients— flour, baking soda, baking powder, butter, canola oil, milk, and an egg